Am I too easy? This is one of the VERY few pieces of equipment I've ever bought new. I say new...It's an 08 model, with less than 100 hours on it. they've used it around the yard where I bought it, and rented it out on a residential job once. Here's some photos. The rack on top of the fork carriage looks like it's been in WWIII. I bought this lift sight unseen. My guys would have it bent in a few months anyhow, especially the way it's built. I bought it at about 65-75% of new value, just because of the slow economy. STILL..it's brand new. Wouldn't you think the man would have mentioned it being bent? It's made pretty flimsy. I'll cut all that junk off the top of the carriage and Impact proof it with some 1/2 x 4 or 6" across the top, versues the 1/4" x 2" flat stock. then try and match the paint. So, should I call the guy I bought it from and complain?
I wouldn't bother if you have a real issue down the road hes more likely to push you off and not hear you out. No big deal like you said it would have bent anyway. Looks brand new to me good luck with it. -Eric
Good looking machine!
well ..having bent a few thing on my own over the years .. the outrigger on either of your units makes a very nice I.R.D ..or "Iron Re-formation Device " tell ya the truth ..Id just pull it of throw it under the outrigger Re-form it ..then just weld a little flat bar across to beef it up a little ..easy fix All in all ..Think you scored well ....:drinkup
Yea..ya'll are right. It ain't worth fussing about. We'll bend it up soon anyhow. We could..Wreck a steel ball with a rubber hammer...
I heard a guy say once .."Give a crane operator two iron balls and lock him in a room ..come back in an hour ..one's broke and the other is missing":drinkup:falldownlaugh
LOL My dad used to have me assembling sweep augers in the afternoon while I was in high school. Sweep augers are...shafts..bearings, pulleys etc. I used to beat the bearings and pulleys on with a hammer. They'd get stuck. Wouldn't come off, or go all the way on. I'd swell the end of the shafts, swell them inside the bearings. He took my hammer away, and gave me a file and a roll of embry cloth. I was 48 years old, with kids in college before I got my hammer back.
You are a braver man than me to buy it with no pictures. I would complain if he said it was new with 100 hours. I mean we are not talking a slight bend the carriage is wrecked. I would call him and ask for something for you time and the material to fix it. If I screwed up one of my machines like that I would be sick until it was fixed. If my employee did it he better have a real good explanation or he would be gone. I would repair it with heavier steel but keep it the same dimensions and style for resale purposes. You should be able to get the paint from the factory and being new it should match. Nice machine what did it actually go for if you don't mind me asking? What are they new? Let us know how it does. Good Luck the bargins are out there now!:drinkup
We cut all the bent off today and welded new on. Went fron 5/16 thick to 3/4". Think it'll hold now. New coat of paint and it'll be better than new. This same machine was selling for 85k - 90k. I gave 60
:drinkup what model is it 6-7-8-9-000 lb? What engine do they use? Does it look easy for servicing?
8,000#. Looks pretty simple. The pettibone seems to be a no-frills machine. Don't look like it could get any simpler.
Things are better that way :drinkup There offer a option so you can monitor the engine maintenace via your computer so that is not so simple. Should be a rugged machine. What are you going to use it for most of the time?
In the construction business. Consider myself a GC, as long as it's non-residential. The last few years been involved mostly in commercial and large farm grain handling projects. 600,000 bushel storage tanks. 10,000-20,000 Bushels per hour elevators. Conveyors from 3,000-40,000 BPH. It still amazes me thinking back when we installed 8" pipe to handle the flow of grain in lieu of 6". Now we're looking at 24" sometimes. :beatsme 24" pipe doesn't look much larger on AutoCad but in real life.....
You may want to add an attachment or two to make your machine more versitile. a "slip-on" truss boom, bucket and 4 x 8 platform would be helpful.