Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Plasma Cutter

jmac ยท 2007-11-21 19:40

Looking to buy a new plasma cutter, any ideas?

Replies11
  1. #1thejdman042007-11-21 20:48

    sabb

  2. #2hvy 1ton2007-11-21 23:22

    miller 625 works good up to 3/8 can cut 1/2 miller 2050 works good up to 3/4 can cut 7/8 i have a 625 and really like it

  3. #3Preppypyro2007-11-21 23:35

    Ive got a miller, just a smaller one, works really good though.

  4. #4itsgottobegreen2007-11-24 22:39

    HYPERTHERM!!!!!!!!!!!! if not MILLER! AKA partners with each other in the plasma cutter business.

  5. #5Legdoc2007-11-24 23:01

    I have a Thermaldynamics cutmaster 50 which cuts 1/2". This has been an excellent unit but, I wish I had a cutmaster 75 (3/4"). You never have enough power!

  6. #6pwrstroke6john2007-11-25 02:20

    Miller,the control is a little wierd to get used too, at least the one i used was.

  7. #7Ross2007-11-25 13:11

    Depends on your budget? Fronius simply make the best Plasma cutter on the market. Ross

  8. #8bill53622007-11-25 17:40

    Esab I have a ESAB 1150 1 5/8" sheer, and 1 1/4" cut as listed by the manufacture. I have cut 3/4" and 1" with no problems, use all the time great on consumables, would buy one again with no hestiation. I have had it for 3 years, had a thermal dynamtics before it work OK, I never liked it much.

  9. #9jmac2007-11-25 21:19

    What I was looking for was a unit that could cut at least 1/2". Went to my local welding supply and they had a 50 amp unit for $1600.00. That was the cheapest around. The unit was a Miller. I bought new tips and bigger tanks, and new kart for ox/acy torch (all ready had one) under $400.00. Not a plasma but works alot better than what I had. Still looking for plasma but wonder if you guys think it is worth it over a torch set up? from what I have been told from searching around is the torch is better for basic cutting? Is the plasma worth the money? What kind of air PSI do i need? Was also told that you have to filter air.

  10. #10dumptrucker2007-11-25 21:37

    I know a friend of mine bought one of these on e-bay. He's had it for about a year and it works great. I think that if your not using it 7 days a week 10 hours a day , for the money you can't beat it. He ended up paying just under 600 bucks for it with shipping. He has used it probably about 50 times so far. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-LONGEVITY-C...yZ113743QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

  11. #11Chaz Murray2007-11-28 19:12

    I have a Hypertherm powermax 600 at home and love the thing...dont know the specs on what it can cut but the most ill ever do at home is 1/4". At our shop for our plasma cnc table we run a Hypertherm powermax 1650 and it runs all day long 5 days a week and no issues.... Also have a couple Powermax 1200 hand plasmas and they work like a champ also. What ever you get make sure its a name brand so in the long run you will know parts will be available in the future. Try to stay with a brand that someone in your town keeps consumables in stock...sucks to have to order parts right in the middle of a project when you could have just gone down to your local welding shop and picked up what you needed and got back to work.