Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Varmints bothering my equipment

DPete ยท 2007-11-21 19:21

Work is slow so the equipment has been sitting around the yard. Something ate one of the 13 lead laser wires, copper and all (obvious bite marks). had a cottontail get killed in the fan on a D8K luckily didn't bend the blades. Hate to think what damage a wire hungry rabbit could do the our 623 wiring harness, must be something about the insulation they like. I need to get back to work to stop this varmint vandalism.

Replies10
  1. #133horse2007-11-21 19:53

    rat and varmit chews I have experienced the same and we ended up using a spray that detered them. Seems like we went to a pet or farm supply store. I understand it does not taste good to them. It may be the same stuff that you use to keep a puppy from chewing. I can't remember, but it seems like there are some home remedies also. In the Telephone company and alarm business it is not uncommon that rats and varmits eat insulation. It's rather hard to know where the critters are gonna make a meal of insulation, so In the past we have placed Tom Cat poison bait. They eat it and it makes them very thirsty, they go looking for water and die. I had a rat make a home in an engine compartmant of a F-350. He chewed on everything including the air intake. My mechanic says he's see them make such a mess that the nest in an intake is sucked into the engine. What a disaster. My latest problem is snakes in my Backhoe. Not that they can cause problems, but we have some poisonous snakes here and I need no surprises. If I can find the nake of that chew deterent, I'll post it here.

  2. #2thejdman042007-11-21 20:45

    try moth balls

  3. #3wrenchbender2007-11-21 22:46

    I've seen folks try moth balls, Amonia and a few other things and so far none have really been a fool proof deal. For the rats/squrilles get few cats but don't feed the cats very much or they become lazy and will not hunt. There's a product called Snake Away that is supposed to be really good I have not used it myself but my neighbor swears by it. As for the cotton tails call Elmer Fudd.lol

  4. #4Dwan Hall2007-11-21 22:58

    porcupines are our biggest problem. They like lower radiators hoses and wiriing harness

  5. #5wrenchbender2007-11-22 07:58

    We don't have those around here but if we did I guess the best way to take care of'um would be with a 22 rifle. Thats how we get rid of skunks shoot them from a distance and away from where you need to be or go.

  6. #6John C.2007-11-22 12:48

    We get pack rats in the logging machinery around here. I had to go out and rewire a machine in the woods awhile back. The fire started under the cab of a logging shovel. When I pulled the harness I found the skull stuck to some insulation. I haven't seen anything really keep critters out of the iron accept keeping it moving all the time.

  7. #7fhdesign2007-11-24 21:31

    Can't use it everywhere but I've been having some success with spraying thinned down engine oil on some of my stuff that sits for about 3 or 4 months.

  8. #8Tom Spivak2007-12-12 19:47

    Bad tasting stuff The stuff your looking for is called Bitter Apple spray. It works, but it has to be reapplied every so often.

  9. #9Legdoc2007-12-13 09:10

    Look out for PETA, they are rabid these days. If they had their way we would not be able to step on a cockroach!

  10. #10DPete2007-12-13 13:21

    My pellet rifle has been doing some good. :guns