Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new problem solved/now old problem

carogator ยท 2009-09-04 23:34

thanks for the help on original problem. now i could use some help on an old problem. when you crank this Ford 6500 tlb up it will not move even if you let it warmup for an hour. but step up the idle to 2/3 throttle for about half a minute and it works fine until you let it sit six or seven hours. again you have to do the same process to get going. this has the 3 speed auto with the forward/reverse shuttle.

Replies19
  1. #1Phil2009-09-05 06:46

    Might be a priming problem, on the supply side of the charge pump, like a plugged intake screen. I have no idea what a Ford 6500 looks like, any pics? Phil

  2. #2carogator2009-09-05 22:12

    phil, these are drawings of my setup. i will get puctures of machine when it is daylight. looks like a 4500 just bigger.

  3. #3carogator2009-09-05 22:31

    more drawings the water is fine ATCOEEQUIP COME ON IN ANYTIME.

  4. #4willie592009-09-05 22:51

    LoL, that's funny! I'm assuming the charge pump is item #14 at the top of the page in first pic. If I read it right, the parts description describes it as being regulator valve, charge pump, and filter in one assembly. I'm with Phil on this one. My first thoughts are clogged pickup tube strainer, failed/failing charge pump, or a bad seal where pickup tube connects to charge pump, and that one is the one I suspect the most. If you have a bad seal where the pickup tube connects to pump, it would do exactly as you described. Normally, the oil is held in pickup tube because pump doesn't allow backflow, kinda like your thumb on a straw. If you had a bad seal, then you've lost the "thumb on straw" and oil would flow out of the tube back into reservoir. Then when you start up, it's having difficulty drawing oil, and is probably cavitating pump with air from bad seal. You rev it, and that little extra vacuum is enough to allow it to draw and pump oil. Just a few thoughts.

  5. #5carogator2009-09-05 23:16

    as usual, what you say makes sense. i believe that the suction tube (#1) in the second drawing has a screen on the bottom even though it doesn't show it or call it a strainer. hydraulic pump is being rebuilt now and should solve overfilling problem.

  6. #6willie592009-09-05 23:45

    Well, I'll keep this going since Phil ain't here to challenge me. If it's a clogged p-u tube strainer, well...that would suck (no pun intended)! That would probably require major disassembly. But what I'd do first, since your hydro pump is off for repair, is remove the charge pump assy. The last pic shows a sleeve, item #5. Not sure what it's for, but it looks like it has something to do with the tube. The first pic shows an o-ring, item #12. That looks like it might be the o-ring seal for the p-u tube connection to the charge pump. Over time, heat makes buna o-rings get hard as a brick bat. It wouldn't surprise me that this o-ring is your problem, rather, I hope this o-ring is your problem. Otherwise...we're right back where we started, and things get more complicated and possibly more expensive.

  7. #7Phil2009-09-06 05:15

    "Well, I'll keep this going since Phil ain't here to challenge me" I was asleep on the couch . After 9:30 is my bedtime .Phil

  8. #8carogator2009-09-06 14:35

    o-ring o-ring # 11 has been explained as suction tube seal . i guess we will learn for sure when i get the shop manual (988 pages). i plan to have charge pump checked or rebuilt if needed. and adjust the bands in the transmission. everything was still working when i stopped, just leaking from the overflow. thats what a forum is about, sharing thoughts and ideas to solve problems, and share common interests. Phil, wake up and tell us what you think is going on. included is a picture of my 6500 and the pond i have to finish. thanks for the help. James

  9. #9willie592009-09-06 14:47

    :lmao :falldownlaugh

  10. #10Phil2009-09-07 07:43

    Looks like a gator pond . I think I see one sunning himself. If you go swimming let me know how it works out for you . That's a nice looking machine, canopies are so nice to see all that goes on. Gators can just take-out where with a cab they have to dine-in . I like really Ford backhoes. When you mention oil coming out the overflow, maybe you are referring to the vent. A suction leak on a hydraulic system may foam the oil, even hydraulic oil. There are different types of materials used for o-rings, usually colour coded, and a type better suited for higher temperatures than buna-n. Phil

  11. #11carogator2009-09-07 11:19

    Thanks Phil, I see you woke up. I never thought about it being a "gator" pond, that made my day. going to pull the charge pump today and see what i can. ordered manual and see i typed wrong # of pages. I bought this tractor cheaply because of the tramsmission not engaging right away. In fact the owner could't get it to engage at all. I tapped on the side of valvebody and it started to move so i told him to load it right then. OK you made my day, now go take a nap. thanks

  12. #12carogator2009-09-17 20:55

    pump still not working ATCOEQUIP , PHIL , and anyone that knows anyone. was told that my hydro pump was bad enough that it was not feasable to rebuild as it needed main housing and gears. so i am trying to locate a pump new or used. it is a Tyrone R20 350 4N it has a SAE B two bolt mount. it mounts in the rear or torque converter housing next to the transmission charge pump. any leads will be appreciated. thanks, James

  13. #13willie592009-09-17 21:10

    Could you send a pic of it?

  14. #14willie592009-09-17 22:05

    Have you priced a new pump from New Holland? I get hyd pumps from Fluid Power International in Georgia. http://www.fpihydraulics.com/index.html Another place you might try is Precision Fluid Power in Oklahoma. http://www.precisionfluidpower.com/

  15. #15carogator2009-09-18 20:32

    pump pictures new holland said no longer available. my hydro shop found one with NPT supply and suction lines. need 4 bolt plate mounts. i will try the links you supplied. also found what may be right pump at sbbtractor parts.com but didn't get price yet. this is best can do on pictures as pump is still at rebuilders. [email protected]

  16. #16willie592009-09-18 20:54

    The pics are fine. That's about an odd looking pump. Let us know how the one works out from sbbtractor. If you have to get an updated replacement, I don't know that your going to find one that leans like that. But I think you should be able to make a more vertical pump work. The tricky part will be your suction line. Send the pics to the owner, Ron, at Fluid Power International and see what he thinks.

  17. #17RTSmith2009-09-19 22:52

    And looking at Phil's timestamps on his posts, he is obviously king of the first shift. Sorry guys, but I'll leave the 4-6 AM posts to him...

  18. #18willie592009-09-19 22:56

    LoL...Phil turns into a pumpkin at 9 pm.

  19. #19carogator2009-09-20 09:20

    sorry about the ssbtractor. it really is tractorhydraulicpump.com the pump isn't that sideways. the mounting boltholes are drilled that way to fit the gear.