Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Purchase John Deere 160c-lc

Southern Man ยท 2014-11-11 19:40

Put a new tractor in the stable today, I have been wanting a larger hoe than my 1994 CAT312 so today everything came together and I picked up a 2006 model with 6,600 hours. I'll post photos when it arrives later this week. While I am waiting would anyone happen to have an owners book that they would share a few pages with me explaining the bells and whistles of the electronic monitor and switches. My ears are open for any advise from any owners. Thanks everyone. Mike in Georgia

Replies19
  1. #1tool_king2014-11-11 20:46

    Mike what is you email address ? I can email the manual to you when I get in service truck in the morning.

  2. #2Southern Man2014-11-11 21:40

    [email protected] Thanks

  3. #3tool_king2014-11-12 09:55

    Emails have been set .

  4. #4Southern Man2014-11-12 21:43

    Thanks Edward. I received them

  5. #5Deereman2014-11-16 12:44

    What part of georgia are you located Mike?

  6. #6Southern Man2014-11-16 14:44

    south georgia between tifton and waycross. cross roads of US441 and US82

  7. #7Southern Man2014-11-16 14:47

    Here is the new tractor. It was delivered on Friday and I changed all the fluids and filters on Saturday. The engine oil filter is the hardest to get to of all the equipment I own.

  8. #8PNECAT2014-11-16 14:58

    Congrats on your machine. Great choice for the size and brand. Hope it treats you good.

  9. #9Deereman2014-11-16 15:49

    Is this a recent craigslist buy? Did you buy the truck and trailer to?

  10. #10nedly052014-11-16 16:26

    Very nice, have you gotten to run it much yet? The trailer is sweet, I wish I had a need for it!

  11. #11alaskaforby42014-11-16 20:06

    Very nice machine! Looks very clean, it always amazes me when I see a machine like this with no grease splatters all over. I always wonder to myself if they just have the perfect recipe for greasing or they just dont do it, or they just clean clean clean. What did you end up having to give for it?

  12. #12Southern Man2014-11-16 20:36

    To answer everyone at once. I had to buy tractor and trailer in a package but I already have a nice lowboy so I am going to sell it and I want to upgrade my single axle truck to a twin screw when the right one comes along. For the tractor I gave mid to upper 40's depending on what I get out of the trailer when I sell it. I've not ran it much yet, there is a little noise in on of the belt pullys at everything but low rpm's and I have not isolated it yet. I'm going to spray a little pb blaster in the pully centers tomorrow and see which one it is. There about a buck fifty each so I only want to replace the one that is bad. I dug up a dozen stumps with it and pilled a little trash but not much. Maybe it is because I have not turned the juice up yet while operating but my 312 seems a lot faster. But I can tell the 160 is going to be a lot stronger. I can operate the 312 with my eyes closed and it is smooth as silk. Hopefully the 160 will be the same in a few months. I dont like that deere did not include an actual hyd oil temp gauge so I will most likely install one before next summer. I also would have preferred a side opening hood. I can see that accessing the back side of the engine is going to be a pain when I have to. Too boot there is very little room to get at anything around this engine. BTY, anyone who has the same model tractor, does your oil fill cap fit loose on the valve cover. The cap has a rubber gasket but it still does not fit tight.

  13. #13Deereman2014-11-16 21:15

    No, the oil cap should tighten up.Someone may have kept over tightening it till its become loose. I don't believe the 160c has an hydraulic oil temp gauge. But it does have a warning light that goes off that has a hydro symbol on it if it gets too hot along with an alarm. I think they did add one on the 160d's(I believe) I don't know how yours is, but I have been on a few 160's they could not move out of their own way. Then I have been on some that were wickedly strong and fast. Guess its all in how its been took care of and how it came from the dealership and factory.

  14. #14kenworth2014-11-16 21:33

    Nice Looking Machine! The C Series are some of the best in my opinion. Don't buy the pulleys or the tensioners as they can easily be repaired instead of buying new ones. I have removed them, disassembled by pressing out the old bearings and putting in new bearings that I got from my local bearing supplier. I did this on a 120C with good results and saved some money. Keep us posted on your machine.

  15. #15Southern Man2014-11-17 11:38

    I found my noise at mid rpm today. The former owner had replaced the main belt with an aftermarket one. When I went to inspect the pulley and tensioner today I was able to remove the top idler without taking any tension off the belt. I could turn the fan by hand because it was loose. Funny thing, when they laid the JD belt on the counter we compared them and they were exactly the same length, with put a set of calipers on them and they were exactly the same thickness but when I put the JD belt on the tractor everything is tight and the mid rpm niose went away.

  16. #16Southern Man2014-11-17 18:08

    Does anyone know a good source for bucket bushings beside the JD dealer?

  17. #17Southern Man2014-11-25 17:37

    I'll have to update the fan belt idler noise issue. The factory belt worked about 30 minutes then the squeeling came back. The belt that the parts book called for was really too short so I had the guy at the JD parts counter give me one that is 5/8" shorter and now all the squealing is gone. If anyone has the same problem the shorter belt number is R123438 I also had to replace the oil sending unit. It was giving me a false alarm so I checked the oil pressure with a good quality liquid filled gauge to be sure and I have 62PSI at idle and 75 at 1/2 throttle. Is this the normal pressures I should be getting. It actually sounds a little high to me on the idle side.

  18. #18Southern Man2014-11-25 17:58

    Kenworth: While I was searching for my noise in the belt system I replaced the bearings in the idler pulley. They were $6.37 each and it had a pair of them. At the dealership it is only sold as a complete unit for $139. They were very easy replace by tapping out and back in with a 1" thick socket and hammer.

  19. #19southernman132014-12-02 05:19

    Too funny our screen names are close and Im off hwy 82 except on the west side Cuthbert, Ga. I'm also looking at a JD160C LC