Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Radiator Questions

redneckchevy9 ยท 2013-09-24 19:19

Just got a new radiator put in my '91 Ford L9000 with 3406B CAT today. Drove it from the shop back to the yard (about 15miles at highway speeds) & when I pulled in, I noticed that there was water/antifreeze all over the driver side wheel, tire, fuel tank & outrigger behind that tank. After a little look, I noticed that it was coming from the overflow hose that runs down to about frame height. Obviously that's where all that liquid came from all over the mentioned parts. Is this normal right after changing a radiator? I washed it all off to see if something happens when I take her out in the morning. I have never had to get a radiator replaced in any of the big trucks I have drove, only replaced a few in several of my pickups I have owned over the years.

Replies11
  1. #1grandpa2013-09-24 19:23

    Maybe the installer filled it too full?

  2. #2redneckchevy92013-09-24 19:41

    Well, that's what I am hoping. I know that I have a full day of deliveries tomorrow, so hopefully I don't run into any problems & hopefully it was a 1 time thing.

  3. #3mitch5042013-09-24 19:51

    FD had a L9000 w/ a 3208, the radiator had a sight glass about a foot from the top, every time somebody from another station would work that station they'd fill the radiator to the top, and I'd get a service call for coolant blowing out the overflow.

  4. #4redneckchevy92013-09-24 19:54

    So does it stop, or do I need to drain some of the coolant so it stop blowing all over my truck? I really don't want to rinse that crap off each time I get back to the yard.

  5. #5mitch5042013-09-24 20:00

    Well, it stops once the it's not overfull. Do you have the low sight glass on the radiator?

  6. #6redneckchevy92013-09-24 20:16

    I will check tomorrow morning & see if it does

  7. #7grandpa2013-09-24 22:43

    Prolly doesn't have a sight glass on the rad.... prolly has an expansion tank over the engine with a sight glass.

  8. #8mitch5042013-09-24 22:57

    Might, I forget what year that one was, late 80s, early 90s, I guess

  9. #9redneckchevy92013-09-25 13:05

    Yep, on the passenger side of the expansion tank. There really isn't much to see - it is pretty cloudy & shows it age - but it does look like it green in there. UPDATE: After my first trip this morning, no more liquid on the ground! Looks like it was topped off just a little to full - I was worried for no reason I guess.

  10. #10grandpa2013-09-25 14:37

    One can't help worry abit after paying for a new rad. at least im the same , I worry...lol Glad your going.

  11. #11redneckchevy92013-12-12 16:51

    Thanks grandpa - except I blew a head gasket 3weeks later. Gauge just shot up to 225 so I shut er down & she took a long time to cool off, so I limped her another 2miles to the shop & it didn't run hot @ all. $2,800 later, it was as good as new. I guess it worked out since they replace a few manifold bolts & a couple sensors.