Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Driveline removal

RobVG ยท 2013-09-27 14:56

I've heard that tow truck drivers us a blunt air chisel to take apart u-joints when dropping a drive line. Just wondering if someone could explain how they do it? Thanks, Rob

Replies4
  1. #1blinkerfluid2013-09-27 19:29

    I've never heard of that. Most of the trucks that come in on the hook have the straps pulled and they pull the rear part of the drive-line out of the split shaft.

  2. #2monster762013-09-27 20:27

    You would be lucky to find a guy willing to do it down here unfortunately they have no pride they just hook and go

  3. #3FSERVICE2013-09-27 21:32

    round here if they don't pull the straps. (most common practice here) they have a puller that removes the caps from the yolk if need be. that said "poor people have poor ways" also it would work in a pinch

  4. #4johndeere1232013-09-30 21:38

    I use a small hydraulic jack and a hammer if I cant fit the puller in, or don't have it with me. Or a pry bar and a hammer.