Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New sending unit… what have you used to seal?

T-town ยท 2015-05-25 10:53

Had to pull the fuel tank on my JD310b to clean up and patch, and replaced the old sending unit. I'm wondering what others have used to seal that flange? ..... and Many Thanks to US Veterans..:usa

Replies6
  1. #1T-town2015-05-25 23:21

    I guess I'll give permatex no. 2 a try........

  2. #2lantraxco2015-05-26 02:24

    I would suggest the factory gasket. Permatex is great except for useage with fuel, it will simply dissolve, silicone is also useless in my opinion. If you must use something as a sealant, look for a liquid teflon pipe sealant that is rated for oil and hopefully fuel contact. Use sparingly.

  3. #3Tinkerer2015-05-26 08:21

    Permatex does have a fuel resistant sealant. http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...Google+&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gasketing

  4. #4T-town2015-05-26 09:37

    The sending unit is attached to the tank with 5 screws.... and it came with gasket..... Old unit had a "red" rubber gasket...... but the whole set-up seemed to beg for sealant. I used anaerobic on it but only on the tank-gasket surface, and have a small weep. Thought maybe to remove and apply to both sides of the gasket..... but then thought to check with this crowd to see if anyone had used another option. Permatex no.1 and 2 are both resistant to fuel.... no.1 hardens and no 2 does not. Figured no.2 would be the choice for this app. due to vibration.

  5. #5Tinkerer2015-05-26 10:51

    The Permatex Aviation #3 is what I use. It is available everywhere around where I live. http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...on-form-a-gasket--no--3-sealant-liquid-detail

  6. #6T-town2015-05-26 14:31

    ..... thanks, I'll check around for that...