Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Skid Steer Options

jonathan734 ยท 2008-12-12 22:47

Well I am in the market for a new skid steer. I currently own a JD280 with mclaren tracks, but would like something stronger and more stable. The machine will mainly be used for maintaining and building my motocross tracks, but will see a heavy amount of farm work from clearing trees to pushing out fences. I have a 6 way dozer blad, bucket, rotary mower, and stump bucket that I will use so hydraulic flow and break out force are important to me. The predicament that I am in is that the 280 is paid for and only has 200 hrs, I am considering the VTS track system but still want more power. Could I get a bigger motor to put in my 280? I can only afford one machine and would like to be able to move it with my truck so a dozer is out. Tail overhang is also an issue, for steep jump faces the tail section on my 280 will drag keeping me from climbing. I am currently looking at the ASV RC100, Gehl ct85, Takeuchi tl150, or the Mustang 2109 with vts. So if anyone has some opinions I would LOVE to hear them. Thanks!

Replies16
  1. #1Axman2008-12-13 12:54

    I have a Tak TL 130 with an enclosed cab and love it for what I do. The 150 is a beast (almost 11k lbs and 97 hp, 23.4 gpm flow rate, 9k ft lbs bucket breakout force) and as long as you have a truck and trailer that can haul it with you would be fine. The only thing I see is getting out of a machine with only 200hrs on it without loosing your a**!:IMO

  2. #2Tigerotor77W2008-12-13 17:01

    If you want more power than one of the largest skids made, you may be out of luck... I don't know how much more bang the Gehl 7810/Mustang 2099 has than your 280, but the 280 is no slouch!

  3. #3jonathan7342008-12-13 21:42

    Well I bought the 280 second hand with 20 hrs (original owner went out of business). I know I will still take a loss, but it won't be too unbearable, no one buys these things for non business and worries about resale value. I really like the 280, but some of the work I do would be much better with a tracked machine. I think I am going to go look at the tak 150, it seem like it has more pushing power than the ct332, I am just worried that it wont be able to climb slopes that well, the machine just looks like it doesn't climb well to me?

  4. #4Axman2008-12-13 22:45

    I've had mine down in some steep canyons picking out boulders and moving dirt and have never had any problems with being able to climb out of anything. Tell the salesman you want to demo it at a job sight and have him take it to one of your tracks and test it out. The only other option would be to try out a small wheeled loader with a skid steer adapter plate and see if that would work for you.

  5. #5Deereman2008-12-14 00:46

    jonathan734 , Did you get to try out a CT332 yet? I've been on some pretty steep grades and slopes with the boom in the air while clearing and was stable and climbed everything I wanted it to within reason.. We had a 325 with the VTS system on it and was not impressed at all and for the price it was not worth it( i think it was $13,000). But if you wanted to try to put it on the 280 give it a shot. That 4045 engine thats in the 280 is capable of well over 100hp but changing it out would be out of the question. It sounds like the 280 has been took care of and if I had the money I would take it off your hands. I've spent some time on them and loved mine anyway (it was a series 2). I still think Deere needs one size bigger CTL to be able to compete with the rest in that size class. Like a CT340 with about 100hp and ample hyd flow. And go back to the 4045 engine. I'm not a fan of the 5030w. Anywho, hope I helped, Later DM

  6. #6HillBoy2008-12-14 14:25

    I'm also not a fan of the VTS -- either stick with a good brand heavy duty over the tire tracks (they are cheap and do a decent job for the money), or pay more and upgrade to a dedicated CTL. Unless you buy used cheap VTS (but risk getting a crap), spending $12-14k on a new VTS seems just not worth it to me...

  7. #7jonathan7342008-12-14 21:28

    Deereman, I haven't used the ct332, but am not ruling it out. I really like Deere and have a decent dealer close so that is a plus. I have a tak dealer not too far away but don't know anything about them. I really like the 280 but just need some tracks to get into some places. The ct332 also seems to have quite a bit less pushing power but more breakout force? Anywho in the next week or two I am gonna try to get some out to demo, but after driving by the tak and deere dealer today I didn't see any 150s or 332s. Deereman is there a way to get my 280 up to 100hp, or are you just saying that it is capable of it?

  8. #8treemover2008-12-14 21:38

    get a tak and be done... no disappointments

  9. #9thejdman042008-12-15 09:56

    I agree on the deere or gehl

  10. #10jonathan7342008-12-15 11:42

    Well went by my local deere and Tak dealers and they don't have anything I am interested in. Both also said that they don't think they will be getting anything in till spring unless I want to purchase a machine. Ugh. Come spring I guess I will try some out. The gehl, tak, and mustang are all the same aren't they?

  11. #11treemover2008-12-15 14:05

    Mostly the same. The cab is the big difference. Taki is roll up door and slightly larger cab. Gehl and mustang have swing door and shorter height cabs. I believe AC's are different as well. I like takki the best, seemed to stay cooler in the heat(ac)

  12. #12stuvecorp2008-12-17 00:51

    Your best bet would probably put the VTS on it. There are used sets out there way lower than new price and yes you are gambling but save up for a new set of tracks and you would be fine. I run 18" VTS on my 70XT and it is an animal. People always are impressed when they see what it can do. I agree the VTS is priced too high but it rides better and when it comes to resale it is easier to sell a wheeled machine than a dedicated track machine. I like the Tak/Mustang/Gehl track machine but they ride so rough compared to the VTS equipt skid. If you get rid of your machine look at either the big Mustang(or Gehl version) or a Case 465. If you go with either they have some serious performance. I would lean maybe to the Case but that is my experience. If you are looking for VTS, I can send you to someone who is very knowledgeable and maybe could find you something. He said something about a repo'd big Mustang for much less than new the other day.

  13. #13Deereman2008-12-19 12:35

    jonathan734, Some ppl will tell you that you can tune the engine up but I would leave it alone.The engine is tuned pacifically to that machine and pump setup. Thats the same engine that sits in the dozers and backhoes, so it might not sound like its working all that hard in the skid. And I have to disagree with stuvecorp on resale or atleast in my area. You hardly ever find a deere ctl around here on trade in that stays long.. I guess it depends on location and ppl needs. I would try mclaren over the tire tracks first if you can and if you still don't like them then move up to the ct' machines. Specially if money is tight like it is now. I think you would be happy with the CT332 for what it can do.. I wish I had more time on the new e-h controls.. I can also try to locate you a machine in your area if you want.DM

  14. #14positrack2008-12-19 16:40

    we looked at all skidsteers and found the 2109 was the best for us as we do mainly mulching it has the best low flow at110 ltrs/min and high flow at 155 ltrs/min.99 hp, breakout force/8,340lbs,working hyd power/3,300psi, good all round viz comfy cab and the ghel 7810 is the same

  15. #15stuvecorp2008-12-19 21:54

    It is funny because up here there is not many Deere machines, tracked or wheel. I think the tracked machines are way overpriced, ride horrible, have high maintenance costs and if you look around at what a couple year old machine with low hours goes for it is painful. I have a Mustang MTL16 and the ride is so bad but it is the smallest machine that lifts that much and we treat it as a offroad forklift in compact projects. My VTS Case rides like a dream, the system isn't perfect but is as close to it right now that I know of. There is a member on here, I think Bob H? that has had a VTS equiped machine for along time and he would be a good one to talk to or look up some of his threads. I don't see that the over the tire tracks are going to give you that much and I do like them in many cases. Hope this helps.

  16. #16jonathan7342008-12-21 10:47

    Deereman, I already have some over the tires tracks, and it does help alot. But I am looking for more pushing power and better slope climbing abilities. One thing I really dislike about the 280 is that if I am building a really steep jump face, as I drive up the face I will get stuck when the tail section drags into the dirt. The CAT mtls dont do that. I don't think the new ct332 would do it either but I havn't looked at one yet. The mustang 2109 will most definantly do that. Maybe the vts system will help it, but it has a lot of engine bay overhang. Deereman if you have info on how to increase the power of the motor I would like to read it even if I don't do anything. I already have a pyrometer hooked up before the turbo, and fabbed up a straigt exhaust for it. Haha, I just like to tinker with my stuff you know?