Hello all, I just recently bought a 2005 case 70xt. This is my first skid steer and I’m learning as I go along. I just purchased a tree shear it’s opening is about 12” wide so I imagine it’s capable of cutting through 8”-10” material easily. It has a 5” cyclinder. I tried to cut a 6-7 inch tree and could not. It’ll cut about half way through but not be able to finish it off. Even at full throttle. It’s not cutting trees as well efficiently as I’ve seen on videos. Is there something I’m missing or doing wrong? Would appreciate any help.
What tree shear? Brand, model?
I believe it’s a great bear, unsure of the model. I bought it new but I know it’s a Chinese brand
We can find the specs on a 70XT all day long, but, without knowing exactly what you're trying run, we cannot offer any help.
There is a chance that the machine is not making the pressure it should be. You would have to put a flow meter on the machine and see if it is making the correct pressure, which should be around 3K. Or the attachment is not capable of cutting the trees your trying to cut.
I have the same problem. I can cut through most trees like butter, but some hardwood trees are a lot different. You have to slice through them a little at a time and work your way through it. I checked my pressure and it is at 3000 psi. As the blade goes through the tree, it will slide my machine sideways. That's how hard some of the trees are. My shear has an 5 inch cylinder also. Jenkins has a 6 inch cylinder on their machines. Slice through most of the way in and then drive forward as far as you can and hit it again and it should lay the tree over. Hedge and locust are the worst to cut around here.
the foot pedal that controls the aux does have slight play and the attachment opens faster than it closes, I’ll tighten that up before I do anything else. The only tester I found was a $600 one is that the only one or is there an alternative? I would imagine it would be a coupler end with a pressure gauge? I didn’t take into consideration the type of tree would effect it that much but wow! Doing some research and looking at what I’m currently cutting after your message it looks like it’s either oak, sugar maple or walnut all of which seem to be hardwoods.
The type of tree makes a huge difference. My oak trees (Blackjack and Post Oak) are very hard and I doubt my S250 would shear them. On the other hand, since they are so hard, I can usually push them over if I move up the trunk a few feet for leverage. I guess tree shears have their place, but I'd rather get the root ball out and be done with it rather than deal with offshoots from the stump for years to come.
I'm going to ask something basic, have you checked that your hydraulic reservoir is at the proper level?