Hey everyone, getting back into the equipment world and just picked up an 09 Tak TL140 and now I need a trailer to move it. I’ve rented a couple and narrowed down what I would like but would like some opinions from you guys. The 3 I’ve narrowed down are a 16’ tri-axle gooseneck dump trailer, a 32’ tri-axle gooseneck flat deck with beaver tail and monster ramps or a 26’ tri-axle deck over tilt deck with a pintle hitch. Just curious what you guys would pick and why? Or if you have other suggestions I’m all ears.
What are you towing with and what are your plans for the machine?
Triaxle for a TL140? We haul our TL150 machines on tandem axle, bumper pull, trailers all the time. Towmaster TT12 and Cam Superline 7 tonner. Why would you need 3 axles?
PJ tandem axle FTW
Sorry for the late reply, I have a 1 ton dually and I don’t have any concrete plans right now but for the time being it’ll be used for my acreage and my recreation properties and maybe 2-3 paying jobs a month.
I’d like to have 20k lbs gvw to have the flexibility to use it for other things besides just the skid steer. I know I could get away with a smaller tandem but I think I’d be kicking myself in the future.
Your initial post didn't reflect that.
Having the ability to haul your own materials or spoils is a great asset to an excavation business. Personally I had an over axle flat deck equipment trailer so I could haul palletized materials and unload them easily.
A tandem axle 14-15k trailer is all a one ton dually can handle anyways, and would be fine for a TL140. Deck over trailers are nice if you often haul materials but you do loose a little capacity and have a taller loading height.
Well thats not true anymore on the latest DRW's. They can tow up to 20K at the bumper.
According to the manufacturer yes, but in real life I personally think it’s too much. Regardless of how these new trucks are equipped at some point you just can’t escape physics. My rule of thumb that has always served me well for trailers is 10k behind a srw 3/4 or 1 ton, 15k behind a 1 ton dually, 20k is class 6-7 medium duty, 30k+ tandem. This is for the best in safety, longevity and ease of use.
I'm going to be that guy... a 10 or 12 ton trailer with air brakes (so it actually has working brakes) and a dump truck to suit. I have a hatred of relying on a single wire to stop a trailer
I use a dump trailer to haul my 287B and it works ok but some of the bigger buckets won’t fit down in the trailer. The other issue is when loading there is not much margin for error side to side. It is nice having the dump trailer to haul away garbage and bring in sand or landscaping rock. I found a dump trailer with an 8 foot x 8 foot flatdeck above the gooseneck where I can haul all my attachments.
I have several trailers. A 14k dual axle trailer is good for short hauls and one attachment. I have a triple axle trailer I just hauled a Kubota svl97-2 with a mulcher, bucket and 84” grapple rake 400 miles. Pulls like a dream. It’s 20’ deck over wheels with 5’ dovetail. Perfect for the application. I don’t like triple axle trailers for turning purposes and tire west but it’s hard to beat for a bumper pull. Also have a 10 ton tandem axle gooseneck with a hydraulic solid width ramp. That’s my favorite but it’s heavier and my son don’t have a gooseneck hitch in his truck yet. A 14k dual axle trailer really isn’t enough for my Kubota and is probably borderline for your tl140 except short runs. Good luck
Like mobile tech I have used my tandem dump trailer as well. It pulls fantastic but the ramps on mine suck. I’ve already bent one. It’s a big Tex 25DU I believe. It will pucker your ass backing out of that thing as well lol. I normally raise the bed and try to unload/load where I have the easier angle. And as he said some attachments don’t fit between the sides but it does pull really well and is handy on certain jobs.
I would stay away from any of the "big" manufacturers such as PJ, Big Tex... Facebook has a PJ trailer owners group and there are many unhappy owners. It's the corporate take over BS, more profit lower quality. My latest trailer purchase is a Ranch King 20' bumper pull with tandem 7k axles. The trailer is nothing stellar. It came with worthless China bomb tires that were so out of round it bucked like a mechanical bull. If time permits one might consider a custom trailer designed the way you want it. Make sure you go 102" wide if it's legal. I put my 10k pound CTL on it with no issues.
Kaufman trailers look really nice. Never owned one but looks very well built especially their dump trailers. Load max it another one. I’ve owned one of those and they’re not run of the mill junk. Tires like said are an issue and with tandem 7K axles you’re pushing the limit on tires. If you carry anything extra is compounds the issue
We have a 14k tilt all steel deck trailer that’s a dream to load and unload. Very well built but it’s only like 16’ long. Our Kubota barely clears between the fenders and the axles are set more towards the front. When loaded like with the mulcher it sits just about all the way forward. So there’s no way to carry anything extra at all and if not loaded just right it’ll sway. There’s not much room for error. Our machine is basically 12k plus the mulcher is prob 2 so it’s always overloaded with the mulcher and pretty much just by itself. I don’t tote the Kubota very far on it when we use the mulcher. I can’t remember the name of the trailer it’s an ex sunbelt rig. Very well made heavy duty.