Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Tata Cummins 5.9 12 Valve w/Spark Plugs – Made in India

Birken Vogt ยท 2020-10-08 01:00

This is a new 5.9 liter generator engine. It has a 12 valve head with spark plugs. I'm wondering if they still make a 5.9 anything in North America or if they shipped the old tooling to India and are re-importing it.

Replies10
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-10-08 02:18

    Does it run on gasoline or natural gas? I worked in a shop that built natural gas production equipment and did a 2nd take when I saw spark plugs on a Cat 3412.

  2. #2fast_st2020-10-08 03:45

    multifuel! was there a carb or injection system?

  3. #3Birken Vogt2020-10-08 09:05

    Strictly natural gas/propane. It has an electronic fuel mixer/control, turbocharger with wastegate, aftercooler, and Bosch electronic throttle. 1800 RPM fixed generator engine.

  4. #4Welder Dave2020-10-08 12:10

    Sounds like a good set up.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2020-10-08 19:49

    I am mostly curious about where they are making old style 5.9 hard parts. It says Neosyn cast into the block and Cummins Tata on the oil handle along with India being cast onto various parts. Did they ship the patterns and gear for making the block and 12 valve heads over to India when they were done with them over here?

  6. #6partsandservice2020-10-11 08:50

    It seems that the Cummins Tata partnership has been around since the earlier 90s. Cummins engines are also manufacturered in China. A lot of the new cummins engines for sale online are produced in china. The parts are marked with cummins part numbers as is that engine you show.

  7. #7Tenwheeler2020-10-11 21:09

    Last head I bought was made in China.

  8. #8Truck Shop2020-10-11 21:49

    Cummins has been in India for a long time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummins#India_operations

  9. #9Birken Vogt2020-10-11 21:55

    Are they still making new 5.9 diesels with 12 valve heads and simple injection pumps in any market I wonder?

  10. #10mitch5042020-10-11 22:47

    I'm getting a vision of you trying to smuggle an engine back from "vacation"...