Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Teeth = New Pins and Rings 100%?

skyking1 · 2024-01-29 16:16

I'm changing out a couple of worn twin tigers on the corners. The pins drove out easy and I cleaned them up and looked at them. What say you? I do have the new hardware, and I can bag the old ones if I'm worried about having spares.

Replies12
  1. #1Vetech632024-01-29 16:20

    As long as the lock ring will collapse in the recess your good to go.

  2. #2skyking12024-01-29 16:43

    All righty I did it!

  3. #3Acoals2024-01-29 17:01

    I always replace the lock rings, it seems like they get weak with time and start slipping the pins.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2024-01-29 17:09

    Or let the locks out and weld the pins to the teeth We got some trashed shanks

  5. #5materthegreater2024-01-29 17:12

    I always just tack weld so the pins can't fall out. Saves a lot of headaches losing teeth on the job and it's not hard to grind off the tacks when it comes time to change teeth.

  6. #6Acoals2024-01-29 17:46

    I find that those retainers are best changed every few hundred hours. Demo work and rock or concrete work seem to tear the retainers up faster than dirt.

  7. #7skyking12024-01-29 18:42

    One of the shanks is beat like somebody did a little digging without a tooth. It wasn't too bad though. I remember losing a tooth on this machine 15 years ago when I was running it but I haven't lost once since. I doubt I'll put 200 hours on it before I retire.

  8. #8CM19952024-01-29 18:43

    As a general rule we'll replace the retainers every tooth change and use the pins a couple of changes.

  9. #9BC Placer gold2024-01-29 19:13

    Same here, last season though left pins a bit too long and would no longer engage retainers with a “hard” snap. Started seeing pins protruding on outer two teeth. Pins were substantially undersized due to wear… Harder digging anticipated going forward with large boulders; will change everything at same time. It seems in our market 210 sized teeth are really reasonably priced.

  10. #10skyking12024-01-29 21:24

    I paid 90 for the two twin tigers and pins and rings.

  11. #11CM19952024-01-30 09:24

    Ouch.

  12. #12skyking12024-01-30 09:27

    we have about 10% sales tax here, so it started at 82. Those are the first and last big excavator teeth I have/will buy in 3 years. We are not high consumers. I could probably put a set of 5 on the 3' bucket, but the shanks are covered and that is what matters there. I probably would have enjoyed new tigers when cutting those stump roots!!