Hello from the mountains of NC, I am new to heavy equipment totally I run a tractor on the farm and a skid steer of a friends for about 5 minutes but i dont think that counts. I am a small engine mechanic by trade havent ever really worked on heavy equipment just farm tractors and smaller stuff mowers chainsaws etc. I will be helping my father in law turn approximatly 13 acres into a campground and rv park. That is why I have joined this community. My hobbies are hunting and fishing mainly. I am really excited to get on some equipment and tear some stuff up hopefully not the machine. I am pretty confident with my mechanic skills and plan to do most of the work on my on.
"tear some stuff up" I prefer "slowly,slowly catchee monkey" Even a small machine can do an awful lot of damage in the hands of a beginner.Try and find someone operating the type of machine you will be using, ask questions, look and learn. Learn what the levers do using low revs(low engine speed)As you start getting the hang of it, speed it up and one day you will be able to operate a machine, good luck
Thankfully I will have someone with 40 years of experience doing the grading and showing me the ropes. Hopefully I will pick it up pretty quick. I dont really want cause a disastor on our property!