Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to forum JD310B battery question

drkhrse01 ยท 2014-01-01 12:26

I recently purchased a JD310b in need of some repair. First thing somebody has put a car battery in it and it cranks very slow. I suspect that this hoe came with two six volt batteries iwired in series. But I haven't found a manual yet to prove my theory. Could some body please let me know what battery/s this came with and if they were 6volt, am I better with the 6volt or one large 12 volt? Also a battery series number, cranking amps, etc.... Thanks! Brent

Replies12
  1. #1mitch5042014-01-01 12:43

    Probably 2 12v in parallel.

  2. #2ala.millwright2014-01-01 13:09

    Pretty sure they came from factory with two 6 volt batteries.

  3. #3drkhrse012014-01-01 13:58

    Is that what most people do, or do they convert to a 12 volt battery?

  4. #4Delmer2014-01-01 14:46

    I'd sure never mess around with 6V batteries (for starting anyway), doesn't gain you anything but adds two more connections that can go bad, plus two six volts are more $$$ than one 12V with the same CCA. One good car battery should have no problem starting that engine at moderate temperatures, and any temps if the you keep the battery warm and use a block heater. If you want to do it right get a size 29 battery (or two in parallel), that will be 1,000CCA (each). JDparts says it was two 6V in series with 830CCA and a higher reserve capacity than you'll get with one 12V, but if you need that reserve capacity to start it there's something seriously wrong. One 4D3 battery would be the same size as the original two sixes but it would be more money and only a little more power than one 29.

  5. #5drkhrse012014-01-01 15:03

    Thanks, that helps me out a lot! Brent :notworthy

  6. #6owmamech2014-01-01 15:46

    310B came from factory with 2 6-volt 830CCA batterys. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/...s.HomePageServlet_Alt?search=model&model=310b

  7. #7norite2014-01-05 05:48

    My previous old 310 had 2 6v batterys in series. I recall it was a tight fit where they went and that was the reason for the two batteries rather than a single larger 12v which may not have fit under the floorboards.

  8. #8drkhrse012014-01-05 14:26

    That's good to know. I'm talking to the guy at TS and he's helping me figure out the largest 12v battery. May be a 31 series.

  9. #9leisureexpress2014-01-05 17:49

    I've got a group 49 car battery, 900 CCA, in my 1974 JD410, (same basic machine as a 310B -engine & starter motor- for the sake of this discussion) and it works fine down to about 0 degrees F, maybe colder but I haven't wanted to try - it's an open cab thing...... It took me a while do figure it out, but I too had weak battery symptoms -it would turn over rapidly initially and 5 seconds later I'd get the click, click click - engine warm or cold, didn't matter, I could jump start it and it would fire right up though. I had the twin 6 volt batteries, weak start. Changed it out to the group 49 I had sitting around - same weak start. Had the starter checked and put a new solenoid on - same weak start. Put a new de-stroke solenoid on the hydraulic pump - FIXED. Now starts fine in all but the coldest temps. I've also heard there is a connection on the neutral switch on the high/low gearshift stick (which must be in neutral to start) that can cause grief on these machines. Also, for cold starting, flip up the travel limiter on the clutch so the clutch pedal can be fully depressed. This fully disengages the transmission and is a recommended procedure in the operators manual for cold starts.

  10. #10Delmer2014-01-05 19:55

    The 29 and 31 are pretty close. There's the 4D (and 6D and 8D but I bet they're pretty rare due to lifting) that's bigger but doesn't get you much more than a 31 (I've got a Northern 4D that's more than 50% bigger than a 29/31 but only 1,050CCA). You can double check here http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

  11. #11Grovecomm2014-01-10 01:59

    My 310C has two, 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. I don't know how many amp hours they are, but they are about the same size as a large car battery.

  12. #12Maurice Muenks2014-01-10 09:10

    Be sure to check battery cables! size 2/0 is best. A lot of people put too small of battery on equipment.