Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to group, case 70xt new to me

Plumberchris ยท 2015-02-16 09:06

Hi all, new to the group and just looking for a common place to go where I can bang my head against the wall with a group. I recently purchased a pretty well "used" case 70xt. This is my first machine as far as heavy equipment goes. Needless to say, it has not been maintained or was the previous owner fourth coming with that info as well. But such is life, its my machine now and I will give her the attention and care it needs. its got the cummins turbo diesel and right at 4,000 hours. Upon my inspection the first areas I noticed are the lower bushings going to the bucket connector were shot and the serpentine belt was crap as well. I was able to replace the bushings, although it took several hours of swearing, smashing fingers, torch, saw, and bfh. What a way to start out. I have now moved on to the serpentine. I can not find any way to get the belt off the main motor crank. I tried taking the bolts out of the hydro pump to get access there, no luck, seems stuck in coupling bolted to motor. I gave up smashing hands and pulled radiator and have a much better vantage point now. I removed the bolts on motor coupling but not enough give to get them all the way out. That however did give me a little more insight to the shaft end that comes out of the pump going into the coupling. Its splined and very rusty. I don't want to break anything or cost myself more but this belt needs replaced. I thought I would start here and soon I will be buying a complete service manual, as this is the only way for sure I know how to perform my own maintenance. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Chris

Replies4
  1. #1KSSS2015-02-16 12:27

    I thought there was a tensioner on the motor for the belt. It has been awhile since I looked at one and although I have had many of those in a skid steer, I never had to replace the belt. My CX160 which has the same motor does have a tensioner that I do know.

  2. #2Plumberchris2015-02-17 08:57

    There is a tensioner but that doesn't assist in getting the belt off the main crank. I found some local help and was able to get it. It requires pulled the hydro pump off crank, which is a task if hasn't been done in awhile. Thanks anyhow

  3. #3franklinute2015-02-20 09:15

    Glad you found some help. I replaced the belt of my 90XT several years ago and didn't have any issues pulling the pump or pulley off the crank. Mine slid off easily and just enough room to put the new belt on. I remember the worst part was removing the cage that protected the fan before the radiator would come out.

  4. #4melben2015-02-20 09:35

    I have changed hundreds of those belts, primarily on 580 series hoes, for ones with rusted splines I use a good air chisel with a long 1/2 punch tool and PB blaster, a few times turned to different spots, pounding on the splined area and generous with the PB and they will slide like a sled on snow. Now, while you are knee deep in mud away from the shop you need a service truck with a compressor and to be able to get close enough to the machine to do it.