Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to hydraulics – How to remove this hose

PNW_Newbie · 2022-11-01 14:44

This will only be the third hydraulic hose I have ever dealt with...so don't laugh I have a hose that goes from my joystick to this spool?...lol There is a leak where it makes a tight bend so I want to replace the hose. Both ends have this same setup where there is (according to Bobcat) an adapter on both ends. How do I go about loosening this up to replace it? I was expecting to see a swivel end like the other hoses I replaced. Thank you.

Replies27
  1. #1skadill2022-11-01 14:48

    The middle one is the swivel, turn it.

  2. #2PNW_Newbie2022-11-01 14:56

    Hmm...That does not make sense to me since it is an actual part that is sold separate to the hose...but I will go give it a shot and see what happens...lol It will probably be clear once I start. Thank you

  3. #3DB22022-11-01 15:01

    Make sure all your components are lowered the ground. Watch out for a spray of oil when you first loosen it. Not sure which circuit you’re dealing with but it holds true for most hoses.

  4. #4Questionable wizard2022-11-01 20:49

    Looks like a pilot hose connecting the joystick tho the valve body. Shouldn't be any pressure

  5. #5Coaldust2022-11-01 21:01

    Good safety message DB2. PNW, lock out, tag out, put your safety glasses on. Be cognizant of contamination control when you put it back together. Or don’t, none of my biz. But, sometimes it creates good business for me when my customers mess stuff up. But, don’t get hurt.

  6. #6Jonas3022022-11-01 21:03

    Your adapter is screwed into the valve and will look something like this for example https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/JIC-Male-x-ORB-Male-Adapter-p/6400.htm If it tries to spin when turning the middle hold it with a wrench Once you have the hose off you can bring it into anywhere that builds hoses to have it made As DB2 wisely pointed out think ahead and be safe as to what may happen when you take any hose off

  7. #7willie592022-11-01 21:26

    Looks like someone has removed that connection in the past as the adapter and the hose fitting nut both had two punch dots on them. Looks like dash 6 JIC

  8. #8PNW_Newbie2022-11-01 21:37

    Thank you all for the information and the time replying to me. I got it done just in time to make it to the shop and have a new one made...Man these hoses cost a small fortune...lol $80 bucks for a 6 foot 1/4 hose, guess I better get used to it now that I have an older machine. As for being cautious and careful...I would say I am "overly" if anything when it comes to this stuff...Been on a learning binge for hydraulics and started out with the "what not to do" videos...after that I was terrified to take my first hose fitting apart...lol Thanks again

  9. #9cfherrman2022-11-01 23:22

    I bought a 5' 1 1/4 hose around in march for $400, plus the 4 hours down around $40/hr labor and the $205/hr income lost. Hydraulics can be really expensive.

  10. #10Coaldust2022-11-01 23:23

    Pure luck they even had the material in stock or someone to build it.

  11. #11aighead2022-11-02 07:06

    PNW, don't worry about being new and asking basic questions, I'm new to it all and constantly ask easy (some could say dumb) questions, and the lovely folks here keep helping! Glad to hear you got the hose off, and yeah, I was surprised to replace my first hose a few years back at the low, low cost of like 130 bucks, for a hose. Nuts.

  12. #12treemuncher2022-11-02 08:28

    Most important part of hydraulic repairs (imho and after safety) is cleanliness. Caps and plugs are a worthy investment if you do a lot of repairs, especially in the field. Brake parts cleaner, clean rags and caps/plugs are my basics. Someone here on HEF posted about flexible plugs. I don't remember who posted it but I purchased the following set and I really like them. Not as good as metal plugs/caps but easy to use and easy to carry one set that fits almost anything instead of numerous cap/plug styles. Much cheaper than lost fluid and dirty hydraulics. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R97W7W6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

  13. #1377Ford2022-11-02 09:13

    I just put $2000 worth of hoses on my bucket truck and it's probably only a 1/3 replaced.....I have the plug kit for the hoses it's nice.

  14. #14cfherrman2022-11-02 09:42

    One time I needed a new hose, smaller like 3/8. I had the hose and one end crimped in one town and had to drive to the next town to get the other end and crimped. It was on my way so wasn't too bad.

  15. #15nowing752022-11-02 13:42

    Always open the fill cap to release head pressure in the tank.

  16. #16Vetech632022-11-02 16:59

    Look what this 4 wire ORFS long 90 elbow hose cost me this morning from Deere.

  17. #17John C.2022-11-02 19:43

    I would think it should cost your customer

  18. #18PNW_Newbie2022-11-08 21:29

    Man you guys have me worries about hose prices now...geesh...lol Has anyone used Surplus Center ( www.surpluscenter.com ) for hoses and parts? I am wondering about the quality they provide. The same hose that cost me $80 is only $20 there. I was considering buying a few hoses from that site and have them on hand for future repairs...but if the quality is bad I will stick with the local shop who I really like (other than the prices...lol).

  19. #19DB22022-11-08 21:37

    How long was that hose Vetech ?

  20. #20Tyler d4c2022-11-08 21:44

    I have but they only have stock length of hoses. I've put many projects together with stuff from them google discount hydraulic hose. When I have the time I order from them there's a page on there sight to help you id and measure your old hose. I normally have the stuff from them In 2 or 3 days.

  21. #21willie592022-11-08 21:45

    Purchasing cheaper online is certainly tempting, but there's value in working with a local shop that provides quality work. If you get to know them well, one day when you need a hose at quitting time they might stay over and fix you up. And going forward, when removing hoses for replacement, if you remove several hoses always mark them so you don't get mixed up which hose goes where. A very simple method that I've used for years is a simple center punch. Punch a single dot on the hose nut and the fitting it's attached to, do the same on the opposite end of the hose. For the next hose, punch two dots. Next hose, punch three dots. I think you'll get the idea here.

  22. #22Vetech632022-11-08 21:57

    5 foot or so

  23. #23Tyler d4c2022-11-08 22:53

    I totally agree but the ones in the local area well to put it nice are bad......

  24. #24aighead2022-11-09 06:24

    I've only replaced a few hoses, at big prices, but I love my Parker store. They are only about 10 minutes down the road and they put up with my not knowing what I'm talking about. Walk in, 7 minutes later I have a hose.

  25. #25cfherrman2022-11-09 07:52

    Surplus center is literally surplus and oopsy orders so it's the same quality you get somewhere else, if that somewhere ordered a bunch of cheap hoses and dumped them on surplus center that could happen too.

  26. #26aighead2022-11-09 12:28

    That's good to know cfherman!

  27. #27nowing752022-11-14 13:37

    I hear ya,most of the field hose guys don't even clean the house out before install. And they shove the hose in to rout it without a plug in it.