I just recently aquired an international TD8E serial 005136. I think 1974 by what I have read. Starts and runs ok as far as engine. The drive is very weak. it wont turn but will go forward and reverse ok. The left track was really loose. We did get grease in the arm and it expanded the track out. Can i rebuild this arm that holds the track tight. It has the back hoe attachment on it and it all functions well after a little WD 40.. This thing has been sitting for years. My main questions are what do I need to know about this unit. starting, operating, maintenance tricks ect. I am certain all of the fluids need changed as well as all filters. Has anyone ever converted the 6 volt series batteries to a single 12 volt? What would cause it to be weak on driving (filters) what else. What controls the turning how can I check it and what do i look for. Can someone tell me were to find a manual and can you get parts for it. We have a family farm with 3 sections and would like to use it for ponds fence work ect. I am fairly good mechanical and will attempt all work myself. The hydraulics on the blade work very good. With the back hoe and blade I was able to lift the unit completely off the ground to pump grease in and expand the tracks. I am new to dozers so whatever help can be offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Buck
Sounds like you are in for a lot of maintenance. I expect what you have are 2-12 volt batteries giving you 24 volts rather than 2- 6volt batteries. 24 volts is much more common. At least from you description it starts and runs. It could be after sitting so long the steering clutches are frozen up. Regarding filters you can try a look up at http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp Hope things work out.
I'm with matt on the 24 volt system mt 250c is a 1975 and it's 24 volt. Most of the 6 volt stuff died out in the 50's I think. You might try the guys over at the red power forum.I would also recomend you try to find some manuals ebay and binder books come to mind. What part of texas are you in?
Buck, My TD7E has two 12 volt batteries in parallel, gives me 12 volts and lots of starting umph... That was a cold weather option, look at them real close... as for that backhoe, you really don't want that, I'll give you my address and you can just send it on to me! On mine, someone did the smart thing and replaced the alternator and voltage regulator with a one wire Delco alternator. (kiss method) Your 8E should be pretty much the same as my 7E except the engine and undercarriage is a bit larger. Be sure and check that strainer under your right foot, if it's clogged you are not going anywhere. Also your brake adjustments under the rear back in behind the sprokets. Move her around a bit and the steering may come back. My dozer had only sat a few months and it took about 5 hours of run time to get her settled down. Seafoam and marval oil in the fuel, new filters, fresh fuel, radiator flush you know....
I will do some more checking on the voltage and batteries to verify. I appreciate the manual store information...I am in the Pampa area north panhandle of Texas. Thanks I also appreciate the filter lookup it worked great for this unit..
I got a full set of manuals, Operator, Service, and Parts from YesterdaysTractor.com for my TD7G. If you dont see it on the web site call them. JenSales and BinderBooks are other places to look. Not cheap however.
They are definitely a 12 volt system. They came new with 2 6 volts in series. I had one of these TD-8E's and I put in a 4D Battery. You would be better with 2 12's in parallel. You need to get the manuals. I've never bought any from Yesterday's Tractor but have bought from Binder Books, they do a good job on the reprinting. You can also check EBAY under heavy equipment parts and manuals in the Business and Industrial section. A lot of manuals appear there and are usually originals which are much easier to use. FWD
I just replace the batteries in my 8E, It calls for a pair of 24 sized batteries. Most 34 sized auto batteries come with little lids that you can put under them to raise them up to be 24 sized. 34/78s are the most common car battery there is.
I've got a TD8c, bought it cheap, did a lot of work to the clutches and brakes, not too hard to work on but the parts were hugh $, one side $1400. and not a lot to them, you can get all the parts from the dealer including manuals.
I have a 1982 TD8E Dozer. The left track is loose. How do you grease the tension track to let the arm extend?
Just behind the front idler at the base of the fork there is a cap on top held on with two bolts. Take off the cap and you will find the grease zerk. Make sure you are not already fully extended.
TD8E is a 12 volt machine the bigger ones are 24volt... the reason for 2-6volt batteries in series is to give more cranking amps than 1 12 volt...I have all the info and books that you could ever need. www.cpecanada.com I can help you with whatever you need for this machine....Durt