Just bought a '78 310A and want to start with new oil, fluids and filters. I do not have a manual yet. Is there anything to know that will make changing the hydraulic/transmission oil easier? Thanks!
I'd check to make sure there's no water in the fluid, not too cloudy if you've used it already, or loosen the drain plug and see if water or oil seeps out the threads. Then use it hard for a couple of days. If something is going to blow, you might as well lose the old fluid first. And if you have to tear into anything, you don't have to drain the new fluid right away to do it. When you do drain the oil, do it hot. Make sure you clean the screen(s?).
when i change mine, i got a plastic 55gallon drum and cut it off about 12 to 14 inches tall,cut 2 hand holds on the sides and drain into it.2 large plugs underneath,and let her drain,makes it easy to drag out and dispose of used oil.
No water in the fluid. Nice and clear. Just though it would be a good idea to start fresh since I have to add and don't know what the previous owner used. Good idea with the 55 gal drum. I'll do that for sure.
This 310A has no emergency brake???
There is also a sump screen that if you follow this link, go down about 10 posts and you will see a picture of where it is located. The picture is after removing the horizontal filter that is near the right rear axle. If you're going to drain the sump, you might as well go through the process of pulling and checking this screen. HeavyEquipmentForums I believe there are 2 drain bolts in the transmission area, when I did mine, I only pulled the one...no big deal...but there is a lot of oil. Parking brake in the very early machines was through the transmission in this configuration, Park Low and then High is under Park. This is the left Park/Low/High range shifter. If you park on a hill and you can't get it out of gear, set down the stabilizers to relieve the gear train of stress and then you can move the shifter. I thought the 310A had parking brakes...
Is there room to get the short hose off and the screen out with the horizontal filter removed or does the entire unit need to be removed from the frame? Mine does not have a parking brake and no indication that there was one that had been removed.
IIRC, I just loosened up the filter housing and then decided to take it off as the short hose was shot...
I would like to find the trim/retainer rings for these rear lights. Anyone have some or know where they may be available?
I would try Steiner tractor parts. Their catalog is much easier to look at then their website. Call and see if they will send you one.