Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me 320cl

catman85 ยท 2013-03-21 21:57

My boss bought me a lightly used 320cl for an up coming job 5400 hrs and its a real tight machine. It only has one problem the house drifts a little any ideas what it is.......and here's some pics Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Replies14
  1. #1uffex2013-03-22 08:55

    Good day Catman I guess you know that the braking of the slewing or swing motion is made by hydraulic pressure and with most the brake more or less has just a parking function. I suggest you establish just how good or bad this is first, please compare left and right. See this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzz_OeuYZI .Please come back to us at bucket sense.@gmail if we can help you some more. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2catman852013-03-22 13:24

    After running it today seems like as long as I'm on flat ground its not that bad but can anyone tell me wat this button is Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3bigshow2013-03-22 13:29

    Swing brake, turn it on and your problems are solved.

  4. #4Oxbow2013-03-22 13:38

    Ditto. That switch allows the machine to center itself if you are picking a load with sling.

  5. #5catman852013-03-22 14:51

    So I run with it on... never run a cat hoe just Volvo deers and one daewoo that I think was made outta coke cans Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6Oxbow2013-03-22 14:58

    Yes, run with the swing brake on.

  7. #7ddigger2013-03-22 17:29

    It does not matter if you run with it off or on. Off you just have no swing brake.

  8. #8Bob/Ont2013-03-22 18:31

    It's not just a brake, it's Soft Swing and has an orifice between the right and left ports that remains open as well as brake off. The brake never engages untill you have stopped swinging. Later Bob

  9. #9catman852013-03-29 09:06

    Another question. My fuel gauge doesn't work is this a common problem. Is it an easy fix Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10kiwi450x2013-03-29 15:40

    I would suggest its the sender unit in your tank that's failed. We replaced one on one of our 325Ds recently and I believe it's a relatively simple job that an operator can do himself. Our operator installed his own one. When we talked to the agents about the fuel gauge not working they reckoned it would be the sender unit straight away and implied that it was a not uncommon problem.

  11. #11catman852013-03-29 17:24

    The only (problem I see is making sure the fuel is low enough in the tank Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12John C.2013-03-29 19:31

    I believe soft swing is an option on Cat C series excavators. As I recall there should be a switch the turns that function off and the machine works as any other excavator. Also as I recall there is no switch on the Cats that manually turns on the swing brake. Let me know if I'm wrong.

  13. #13CascadeScaper2013-03-29 20:38

    I'm with you, I've run many C series excavators and don't ever remember a manual swing brake switch like Komatsu has been putting in their hoes for quite some time.

  14. #14Oxbow2013-03-31 12:31

    The swing brake switch is not like swing brake locks on cranes or anything, it just changes how the machine responds when you release joystick swing movement. Not all the machines have this option, and some people like running with the swing free, but in general most people run with the swing brake feature switched such that the machine swing comes to a stop and then stays there until the swing joystick is activated again. With the free mode, the machine will drift related to sidehill, off center picks, etc.