Hi, Ive recently purchased a New to me 70's Champion D562B with the detroit 4-71 engine. So far the 4-71 Runs great, however I am having issues with the brakes and Transmission. I am not able to change gears in the transmission unless I come to a complete stop. Took me 3 hrs to road it home cause i couldn't get it into 4th without riding the clutch from a stand still. I believe it has a 9138 transmission however I cannot find a manual on it. I was able to purchase a operators manual on Farm manuals fast but it did not cover much more that oil quantity's and lubrication schedules. I am also having issues with the brakes and brake system. It has 4 wheel brakes and what seems to be some type of hydraulic booster? before the master cylinder. I will be putting new brake lines on as one is pinched off ( assuming a wheel cylinder leak ) but would like more information. I also have a huge leak under the steering box of hydraulic oil ( guessing a seal in the box) and out of the valve spools and it leaks into the cab So far its got new boots in an effort to restore it to its former glory! If anyone has any knowledge or shop / parts manuals on this grader and or components it would be greatly appreciated.
There might be some manuals on the internet. If not call Jade Equipment in Acheson just outside of Edmonton. They specialize in Champion but can be pricey for parts. They have some used parts as well though. Those look like expensive tires. I'm currently trying to find lower priced repair kits for the clutch master cylinder and booster on an 86 730A. Hoping they aren't exclusive Champion. Your 562B might use a similar type of Mico boosted master cylinder.
Just my opinion, but that’s too much tire for a 4-71 to turn. On that machine i would have stayed with the bias 14:00-24.
They are radial 14-24's it had 13-24's on it before. There a knockoff of the michellin snow+... just have more space between the lugs. I had a guy who used to do my grading that did the roads in and around canmore in the 60's and 70's that had on of these and he ran the 14-24's on it. Ive hauled his before for him and I dont think i could load one over the beaver tails with 13-24 rubber
Any chance you could take a picture of it? Ive looked at another one with 2 wheel brakes only and it just runs a mastercylinder without a booster P/N - FD2951 by wagner. looks different than what I have
One place i worked at had a cat 120G originally with 13:00-24’s and the tire shop sold them 14:00-24’s. It really made the machine feel underpowered because of the taller rubber. But, they could get back to the shop faster at the end of the day
I highly doubt it's the same and Mico has quite a few different models of master cylinders and boosted master cylinders. The 2nd pic. better shows the larger booster mounted on the master cylinder.
The tires are probably worth as much or more than the machine. I adapted foam filled Goodyear radials on my grader for roughly $4500 including the adapters. New I think the foam filled tires with new rims would have been around $20,000 by themself which is more than the grader alone is worth. With the new tires the grader is certainly worth more.