Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me JCB missing safety strut.

puma1973 ยท 2014-06-16 20:47

My JCB 1400b does not have a safety strut for the loader arm. I need to change fluids and filters. Does anyone have suggestions for a homemade strut or another way to safely prop the loader arm so I can work in the engine compartment?

Replies4
  1. #1Mike L2014-06-16 21:13

    Call jcb and order one. Safety equipment is not an area to mess with

  2. #2Tinkerer2014-06-17 08:19

    I made a couple for my machine. They are much sturdier than OEM props. Check out post #8 in this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3puma19732014-06-17 10:30

    Do you know what thickness is of the JCB strut? I have some 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron, thinking of using one on each side. I understand the safety issue, but don't have time to wait for one to come from JCB and am sure it is pricey. As long as I overbuild, I would feel safe. Tinkerer, I like your props, will probably make some like yours later.

  4. #4LT-x72014-06-20 14:12

    I think the stock strut is about 1/4" and it only goes on one side of the loader. If you could find a piece of channel all you would have to do it cut it to length.