Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New To Me Michigan 55….Questions…

Cavalry ยท 2019-09-30 13:38

I just acquired a fairly clapped out Michigan 55 loader with a 3-53. It starts well, moves and lifts but hasn't seen a bit of love in a loooong time. I don't expect miracles out of it, its going to have an easy life as part of my fleet for property maintenance and as time permits will have all the bugs worked out. Right now I am focused on trying to figure out what exactly I have bought and what it needs right away. OK, whats the deal with Michigan/Clark? I assume it was a transitional period as both companies names are on it? I have no clue what the actual model number is. Its stickered as a 55B but its been repainted at some point. The data tag calls it a "55GM" which I assume just means its a model 55 with a driptroit? The serial is a 8BGxxx so that put me in the right direction for finding the correct parts manual. I was extra impressed with the seemingly never ending changes Michigan made in the product line. The amount of models, submodels and serial breaks is amazing. So anyway, the parts manual refers to the 8BG as a late 55III. So is it a 55B or a 55III? I located a operator manual for a 55II (with supplements for the later models, but they didn't seem to actually get in the manual) Its a good ballpark manual I guess, but obviously cant be taken as gospel. Anyone have a copy of the correct operator manual? The first order of business is to service this piggy and see what I have. I am already running into issues cross referencing filters. I would rather not buy genuine clark if I don't have to. Has anyone already done the hard work and come up with cross reference that is correct? I have completely failed at locating a dipstick for the transmission. Earlier models seemed to have a dipstick accessed through the floor but no so much on mine. The underside of this is as black as a coal mine so seeing anything is a challenge. I degreased a couple of layers off the tranny and TC but other than a fill on the TC don't see a level on the tranny itself. Fluids- My time machine is still broken so no Type A fluid on hand. Dexron? Fluid for the hydraulics, the various manuals I have just give some specs that are around an ISO 46 oil? I'll just ignore the lube plate on the machine that states the hydraulic system uses Type A lol. Well, thats it for now. I am sure this could get lengthy though as this old girl will need a lot of attention to be right.

Replies0

No replies yet.