Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me mini ex

2011Laramie ยท 2020-06-23 04:58

Good morning everyone. Im new here, just found this forum this month while i was researching yanmar mini ex's. I bought a 2012 yanmar vio55-5b that had 926hrs on it i put 9hrs on it before i had to leave for work again. I work 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out up in northern Alberta. My family and i are developing our place and i decided this machine should work for a few years while i need it... I'm already hooked on it and want to start a side business on my weeks off once I am better on the machine. I am still getting to know the machine and have a ton to learn.

Replies16
  1. #1John Canfield2020-06-23 17:43

    Welcome to HEF. That Yanmar should be a good machine, I would have considered one but no dealer within 120 miles. If you start doing side jobs, be careful. I've already pulled up the water line to my house twice and a 2" sewer drain one time. My Father's Day consisted of making a run to the DIY store to buy a bunch of 1 1/4" pvc fittings to make the repair. When my wife sees me near the house with the hoe I get that look.

  2. #2KSSS2020-06-23 21:44

    We have a Yanmar dealer here, and he sells quite a few machines many have multiple Yanmar excavators, owners seem to be pretty happy with them.

  3. #32011Laramie2020-06-24 01:00

    Only things ive found so far are, Not sure how hot these run when working but mine got up to about the red line before i shut it down for supper the one night. I added some coolant to the overflow bottle, but of course the next day it was significantly colder outside. And the thumb seems kinda loose it rattles around. Not sure if its correct. Almost seems like its missing a sleeve or something.

  4. #4Orest Anhel2020-06-24 01:53

    My Yanmar Vio 35-3 has the same slop on the pin the thumb pivots on. Thinking I should shim it up some with heavy washers but haven't got around to it yet. Warmest mine runs is about 4 needle widths above the second hashmark. Maybe try hosing out your rad. Very happy with my machine at 3400 hours. Love the pin grabbers as it fits a wide range of buckets.

  5. #5John Canfield2020-06-24 09:45

    I would do a thorough cleaning of whatever radiators you have, make sure your fan belt has proper tension. Might as well do a full service on it unless you have maintenance records.

  6. #6heymccall2020-06-25 12:12

    We have a plethora of yanmar powered machines here, and I've never had one go more than 500 hours without needing the belts tightened, ever. My TB53FR, TB180FRs, TL150s, ViO55, ViO80, TB035, and on and on. With the engine off, reach in (you may have to move accessories) and turn the tip of a fan blade. If you can turn it with on finger, it is too loose. Not always is there a belt noise when the belt is loose.

  7. #7Welder Dave2020-06-25 13:44

    Use a temp. gun to see just what temp. it is running at. Sometimes gauges can read a little different between machines. I think some heavy washers/shims would take up the slop in the thumb.

  8. #8KSSS2020-06-25 21:25

    I can relate to that comment.

  9. #92011Laramie2020-06-27 08:19

    Thanks for the replies. Next week when im home im gonna look into these suggestions.

  10. #10strykerakamack2020-06-27 21:51

    Quick Question , What size ram are you using on your thumb ? I've got a 30" mechanical thumb on my 35-3 but would like to add hydraulics to it .

  11. #11Orest Anhel2020-06-28 13:51

    800 miles away from my machine for next 3 weeks. Guessing cylinder is 3 or 4 inch bore.

  12. #12strykerakamack2020-06-28 15:19

    When ya get back Overall length and the travel of ram would be great looks like I would have to move the ram pin hole closer so I guess the distance from pin to frame would be helpful . Are you just using foot control for movement and did you add anything to circuit or just using as is ? Thanks

  13. #13Orest Anhel2020-06-28 17:32

    Using it as purchased with foot control. Guessing this was factory setup

  14. #14JPSouth2020-06-29 11:40

    Second this; t-shooting hydraulic and coolant leaks, engine cooling problems, plugged radiators...the IR temp gun is a wonderful thing. Once you know the exact temps of the inlet/outlet hoses, radiator core area, thermostat, you can figure whether the gauge is sticky or malfunctioning, also whether the sender is correct. Sometimes a sending unit will get corroded a little or something come a bit loose, give a faulty reading. A compromised sending wire will also give an inaccurate reading.

  15. #15Orest Anhel2020-07-26 23:17

    Sorry for the slow reply. Cylinder is 3 inch diameter, rod is 1.5 inches. Full extension is 47.5 inches pin centre to pin centre. Full retract length is 27.75 inches pin centre to pin centre. Stroke is 19.75 inches.

  16. #16strykerakamack2020-07-27 06:55

    No Problem , Thanks Now just gotta find one