Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me service truck

SE-Ia Cowman ยท 2015-12-06 22:27

Well I updated service trucks a few weeks ago and I am amazed with the room and quality of the new truck, I had a 2004 F550 with the 6.0 powerstroke and a full hydraulic crane and air compressor with auto crane body, I was always fighting the junk e brake it might hold on the level but never on a slope, I was also completley out of room. When I bought it 3 years ago it was my first truck and it worked OK but never well. When fully loaded with tools and cribbing blocks it weighed 19,000+ when on a job sight you were very hard on the clutch when starting in soft ground, The new truck, 2006 ford F650 has a cat C7, 7 speed trany, air brakes, hydraulic outriggers, and a wireless remote for the crane, it also has 2, 50 gallon oil tanks with air pumps, and the welder is mounted between the cab, it is so nice not to have to crawl up to start and stop and hook up the welder. I have everything in this truck I had in the other and more it only weighs 22,700 and it handles the weight and makes starts and stops with no problem, I also have about twice as many drawers as before, and that makes organization much easier. The new body is a STI and it is very well built my only complaint is the crain only has 1 hydraulic section makes it tough in a building to manuver. It also has air ride suspension wich is nice and I plumbed a electric dump valve in to make it easier to get in and out of the back. I will try to get some more pictures posted but here is one

Replies23
  1. #1simonsrplant2015-12-06 22:47

    Real nice looking rig. I like the welder set up on a deck behind the cab there, real practical. Not so keen personally on the 750 cab or ride but still, looks to be a nice truck for sure. keep the pics coming.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2015-12-07 00:32

    Real nice looking rig, looks like it was well taken care of! Lots of luck with it!

  3. #3mikebramel2015-12-07 00:51

    Very nice. Certainly an upgrade. In about 4-5 years we'll see you in a tandem axle?

  4. #4SE-Ia Cowman2015-12-07 11:03

    Yes hopefully in 3 to 5 years it will have a big red oval on the hood and a tandem axle here are some more pictures, not completly done with orginazation yet as the pictures show, but it has been making me money.

  5. #5SE-Ia Cowman2015-12-07 11:06

    a few more

  6. #6SE-Ia Cowman2015-12-07 11:12

    Here are the last of them

  7. #7tctractors2015-12-07 12:14

    SE-Ia Cowman, that is a cracking mobile toolbox you have,its the sort of Chariot I would love (In 4X4 format) but sadly here in the U.K. this truck would be really a non starter, the trouble getting it into a work site and keeping it fed on our costly fuel would be painful enough, the other thing is it would be picked clean by Bandits in moments, as its tool content would prove to tempting to ever park the truck un-attended for more that 30 seconds, on most sites I never leave my L/Rover even locked out of my eye line, it really has to be right by me with any Wandering Mistrals (Dodgy Sorts) kept clear of it with threat of Blood Loss being an option, your new mount would shout "Steal Me Somehow" to a large amount of the wrong sorts we have about, it would seem that your possible full tool kit is running about with you, if the truck is stolen you have nothing or possibly close to nothing left? I have the best insurance I can get on my banger and contents but I have only a 1/4 of the kit you have running about with me, so this ends with the fact I love your new mount but it would be a "Rob Box" in the U.K. Best of Luck with it, as its a blinding Chariot tctractors

  8. #8SE-Ia Cowman2015-12-07 22:40

    I have never locked the truck or my shop in 5 years Tc, I live 1/4 mile from the shop on a gravel road, with the shop unlocked it makes it easier for customers to pick up equipment after hours and leave a check on my desk. I guess I am spoiled living in a small tight nit community with mostly trustworthy people around. I have never been robbed or broken in to, I never remove the keys from the ignition on anything I own unless going to Des Moines. Not to say there aren't bandits around they just stay clear of my neighborhood, of course the 215lb English mastiff in the shop that would lick someone to death before biting might help. Thanks for the complement TC I follow your posts regularly and wonder how you do so much out of a rover with no crane.

  9. #9tctractors2015-12-08 02:33

    Se, your comments about locking up nothing and Customers dropping off a payment is hard for my brain cell (only 1) to understand, in the U.K. you would turn up in the Morning to a Bare Site being lucky to still have a building left, around my home that is all by itself with No other houses near, the doors, gates and everything is locked down with Infa Red Camera's warning me of ANY movement near my Hovel, as for Customers leaving a Check or payment for a job, well that bit made me laugh some and just shows what a few thousand miles doe's to people, this Check dropping off thing would be an "In My Dreams" fantasy that 1 day might happen, I do have some very good Customers that really look after me and Pay very well, but to expect them to drop off a payment in my unlocked Workshop??????????? tctractors p.s. Iowa must be a great place to live and raise a Family.

  10. #10excavator2015-12-08 12:11

    SE-Ia Cowman, now that you have advertised to the world, I would definitely start locking things up. Trust me, I know how it feels to walk out the door in the morning to find your service truck and all its contents not where you had parked it the night before and it was locked up. Leaving it unlocked with the keys in the ignition is just asking for trouble. An ounce of prevention, at least put coded locks on the shop so you can give your customers the code to get in. JMHO

  11. #11Delmer2015-12-08 13:37

    Slightly higher rate of gun violence than the UK. Coincidence?

  12. #12nowing752015-12-08 14:23

    Congrats on the new truck. Did that 6.0 let you down much? Now you need to go on eBay and get a dozen 48 watt lights for it.

  13. #13SE-Ia Cowman2015-12-08 19:18

    As for advertising to the world I think this is a pretty honest bunch of people here on HEF, and I didnt post a map to my shop or a address, But I probably should lock things up I just havent had to and probably wont. One thing I didnt post was my parents are both retired and live 150 feet from the shop they are around most of the time and multiple big dogs deture most strangers. We are also not in town about we live about 10 miles from town well off the beaten path As for the 6 liter it didnt let me down very often I put a full set of injectors in last year and it had been trouble free since. The only thing it needs before I sell it is to figure out why it wont start when the oil is hot. An example is drive 15 miles pull in to job site and shut it off it wont start for at least 15 minutes, let it Idle for 2 or 3 minutes and it will restart right after shuting it off. I thing the high pressure oil pump is weak or it has enugh internal leakage that it cant over come it with hot oil, you can role start it on a hill at any time and it starts right up.

  14. #14The Peej2015-12-10 08:24

    My 05 550 with the 6.0 did the same thing, would not start when hot. It was the high pressure oil pump. Dealer told me the good thing is it is all rebuildable the problem is you cant get to it.

  15. #15simonsrplant2015-12-10 10:33

    I've just bought a 6.0 550... Kinda hoping it behaves itself! Please give me a drop of confidence!?

  16. #16The Peej2015-12-10 12:47

    I have a love hate relationship with my truck.

  17. #17nowing752015-12-10 20:04

    I know a few guys with the 6.0 in service trucks and your spent lots of time in the shop. I guess if you get it cheap it might be worth the gamble.

  18. #18Desertwheeler2015-12-10 20:59

    My dads 350 was doing a similar thing and it ended up being the starter was weak and wouldn't crank it fast enough sometime when everything was hot. Both of them have been bullet proofed. Bullet proof egr cooler and head studs. They've had injectors replaced too but they have 220-320k on them.

  19. #19curb guy2015-12-11 19:06

    Of the "ton trucks" I run, probably about a dozen or so are 6.0l's. My experience, for what it's worth,a no-start hot is generally the dummy plugs .Pretty easy ,straight forward repair.

  20. #20mikebramel2015-12-11 20:11

    Keep the oil changed and the EGR deleted and they're pretty good. They don't cost much more to fix than anything else. You'd be doing head gaskets or injectors on a duramax too

  21. #21mikebramel2015-12-11 20:13

    Where did you find this truck? I thought it was just a nice paint job but on the inside looks almost unused with little scratches, etc? The color is very nice also

  22. #22FSERVICE2015-12-13 22:03

    I had to laugh out load when I first heard of the dummy plugs!!! but yes you are right its usually the problem with a no-start hot condition!! I have also noticed if a 6.0 will make it to 100,000 miles with no problems it is usually good forever!! but most don't make that mark before things go south!!

  23. #23Randy882015-12-27 03:13

    Cowman, make a call to your insurance company and see what they require for pulling key's or locking things up, most will refuse to pay if you didn't lock it up or pull the key's. Great looking service truck by the way, nice find and should provide years of service for you.