Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me service truck

JBGASH ยท 2016-07-16 23:23

I picked up a Ford 550 service truck with a 6000 lb Auto Crane in excellent condition. This will be a welcome addition to my operation. To my surprise the truck needs nothing and is road ready 100% has a 7.3 power stroke.

Replies7
  1. #1cb752016-07-16 23:51

    Very nice looking truck you got there. Congrats! What make is the bed? Is this truck replacing another service truck? I could only imagine how much a truck like this would make life so much easier....good investment.

  2. #2RBMcCloskey2016-07-17 09:10

    Congratulations, great looking unit. You are right that boom is a life saver, not to mention a back saver. But alas, the amount of stuff you need to carry will magically expand to 10% more than the space available. A question; how much welding do you do and how much compressed air do you need?

  3. #3JBGASH2016-07-17 09:26

    CB, the bed is an Auto Crane bed that was built for the crane application by Auto Crane as a set. I have appox 50 pieces of equipment and numerous vehicles to keep running scattered around so it will be a welcome addition. I did not have a designated service truck before, most repair projects we hauled back to our shop or fixed on site with whatever means available. RBM, we do quite a bit of welding as needed on mainly repairs, some pipe and support brackets etc. the air compressor will run a 3/4 impact that will be used a lot. A large part of the business we do is repair / installation of municipal sewage lift stations of all types- example, pulling and reinstalling a 20HP sewage pump wil be easy now for us.

  4. #4CM19952016-07-17 18:04

    Congrats JB, that's a nice clean looking truck! I bet after using the crane for a while with what you do, you'll be asking yourself - "How did we do it before?". I've got a service truck but it doesn't have a crane. I've spent hours searching the auctions and ads to find a nice used one either straight boom or articulated but they are rare as hens teeth.

  5. #5Dickjr.2016-07-17 18:57

    They are pretty good trucks , cam position sensors can be a problem but 30$ and its back on. At least you don't have to worry about popping head gaskets etc with this one.

  6. #6FSERVICE2016-07-17 22:14

    that's a very nice bed/crane combo & will outlast several chassis!!! I have removed/installed several pumps for the city where I live lucky all I have to do is run the crane lift out put on their trailer then lift off trailer back to the pit!!!

  7. #7willie592016-07-17 22:30

    Nice score. :drinkup