Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to me Tool truck.

bigshow ยท 2014-03-22 21:46

I have been searching high and low for the past year and finally found a truck spec'd out the way I wanted it. I'm not a full time mechanic but I do a little bit on the side and it's handy to have a nice set-up. So here it is, only thing I wished it had was a hydraulic air compressor but oh well, that's life.

Replies11
  1. #1willie592014-03-22 22:12

    Nice score bigshow! :drinkup

  2. #2ddigger2014-03-22 22:25

    Very Cool!

  3. #3furbis2014-03-22 22:56

    Nice truck, how long is the bed 10' ? Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

  4. #4Dualie2014-03-23 02:14

    looks like 14' to me

  5. #5bigshow2014-03-23 07:21

    Thanks guys, it's 11'. I debated on Rhino lining the bed but I decided to do it and sure am glad I did. A lot of people told me I was stupid for getting a truck with a crane, but then I looked around at all these guys with messed up backs and it was a no brainer. It does have an inverter and some outlets around the body which is pretty handy for quick stuff. I read too many horror stories on the newer diesel motors so I stayed away from them and focused on gas burners and found this one in Jersey with a V10 and 33,000 miles.

  6. #6CM19952014-03-23 09:25

    Nice truck, congrats. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a truck like that as well. I have a 4700 corn binder set up as a service truck but it doesn't get sent to the job that much. A truck that would double as a tool truck and a service truck would be nice.

  7. #7BobCatMan2014-04-11 15:07

    Is that a Lincoln welder I spy?

  8. #8kshansen2014-04-11 16:26

    Very nice looking outfit you got there. Some of the truck the dealers have for their mechanics seem too big to me. I spent a few years doing road work for our company around NY state. First truck was just a 3/4 ton chevy with a utility body, that was a little small. Next was a bigger Chevy forget the rating but it had a 9 foot bed and duels and a small crane on the back. Pulling a wheel off a 966C Cat was pushing it to the limits. Last truck we got was a Ford that was about the same size as yours, crane and all. Due to some error in ordering when body was installed on it came back with about 18 inches between cab and front of body. Our boss wanted the shop welder to shorten the frame Just so happened we had an almost new air compressor like the one you are lifting just sitting with nothing to do. Some quick measurement and fast talking on my part and got that mounted so it looked like it was ordered that way We finally had a truck that seemed to fit our needs just right Then upper management guy says another part of the company has this big project going on and they need a service truck for a few weeks Well that was over ten years ago and we never saw that truck again, stories I've heard say that it was beat to death and scraped:Banghead Now days do very little work for other parts of the company and when I do it's toss some tools in a cardboard box and hope when I get there I have the tools needed for the job that is often different than I was told .

  9. #9Firemanmike692014-04-11 18:53

    Good looking truck your making me jealous

  10. #10bigshow2014-04-11 19:06

    Thanks guys, and yes it's a Lincoln, g8000 to be exact. I'd like a bigger welder but this works good for the money I got into it.

  11. #11RZucker2014-04-11 22:17

    Very nice truck. Almost exactly what ive been watching for. I have a Chevy 1ton thats too small. And an F-800 Ford thats too big. Good choice on the gas engine, Ive reached the point I dont trust the new diesels, especially the Fords til they get the bugs worked out. When you upgrade your welder, look at the Miller trailblazer 302 or 325, A whole lot more power in the same footprint.