Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to site, seeking advice on purchasing track skid steer

Roogie · 2024-08-26 12:21

Hello, My name is “Roogie”. I live in Cheney WA on 40 acres. The soil conditions are top soil then clay, clay, clay and more clay. That real sticky stuff that will get everything stuck including dozers, skid steers; I’ve got them both stuck balls deep. Anyway, I am wanting to purchase a track skid steer to do a lot of landscaping, fence building, earth moving, rock (boulder removal within reason), road repair/ grading. I’m also tinkering with the idea of purchasing a single axel NON CDL dump truck and trailer and renting myself out. I have a SANY 35 mini and 2000lb double drum roller, great sor small projects. When building our house and shop I ran dozers, larger and mini excavators and skid steers. I’m not a pro but I feel comfortable and confident on what I can do within the limitations of the machines and put uncountable hours on them (renting). I still have a lot to do and feel purchasing is better so I’m not under the gun of rent time and being limited to 40 hours a week on the meter. So, with all that said I’M SEEKING YOUR ADVICE …… I’m asking for advice on brands and models that you would recommend. I have $60 available but would prefer to stay under $50k. Additionally, from my research a used machine should be no higher then 2000 hours max? WANT TO BUY: track skid steer 74hp and above NEEDS: enclosed ROPS for 4 season use, mechanically sound (I have a diesel mechanic available and I am decent with a wrench. ACCESSORIES: GP bucket, grappler, forks, grader (not a 10k dollar one) Hopefully this is enough to get your feedback. I know this is an often asked question however I’m trying to be specific on my area and needs, pinpointing your feedback. Thanks ahead of time for your input Roogie

Replies29
  1. #1Vetech632024-08-26 15:41

    Don't buy one sight unseen from an auction. Those put you.in the running for a possible record setting repair thread here lol

  2. #2Roogie2024-08-26 16:49

    I’ve looked at auctions and have been very intrigued but just can’t spend that type of money on a “ghost item”. Honestly, I got screwed out of 17K a year ago on that exact thing from a scam ghost dealership so I’m totally freaked out about auctions, do-it-yourself sellers on the other side of the country. Appreciate the information. Do you have any suggestions to good/bad brands, things to look for when purchasing, brands that have “lemon” years, etc?

  3. #3ozarkag2024-08-26 19:43

    Often it's about what is not listed on a particular machine. Features like 2 speed, power coupler, working a/c, etc., may not be as standard as we tend to think. At 60k you are very close to a new machine with warranty, at least a mid size 74 hp. Auction and used values are trending lower and very nice machines are available in 40k's. Make and model? Honestly probably dealer support will be one of the biggest factors. I can easier give you weak spots on a particular model. And they all have at least one. . .

  4. #4CM19952024-08-26 19:54

    Have you priced a new 74 HP CTL? Bump that $60K up by $20-40K depending on options. New fully loaded Cat 265 that replaces our 279D's is $100K+. Not sure about the other brands. Oh yeah - Welcome to the Forums Roogie! Glad to have you.

  5. #5ozarkag2024-08-27 10:16

    A basic Bobcat T595 or T64, Kubota Svl 75.3, Wacker Neuson St31, Deere 317G, or similar can be had for under 70k. With cab but few extras. These are the smaller 74 hp machines, what we would call mid size. The cat 265 is a large frame 74hp, and has that Cat premium. . .

  6. #6Roogie2024-08-27 10:20

    CM1995 & Ozarkag ….thanks for the reply. Honestly I didn’t even look at NEW machines cause I figured they were way outta bounds for me. I’ll give them a look at the local dealers and see what they have. I’m guessing its like buying a car, buy it on the lot and loose 20% value once it hits the dirt?

  7. #7CM19952024-08-27 11:09

    A T595 is 55HP and 6500 lb. Specs: - Rated Operating Capacity (ISO): 1,490 lb Operating Weight: 6424 lb Auxiliary Std Flow: 16.7 gal/min HP: 55 hp Tipping Load: 4257 lb Big difference than a 265 at 74HP and 10.5K weight. Operating Weight, lb. (kg) 9628 (4367) 10492 (4759) Rated Operating Capacity @ 35%, lb. (kg) 2499 (1134) 2822 (1280) Not sure about the specs on the Kubota and others.

  8. #8Roogie2024-08-27 12:02

    I did find this one on CL about 2 hours away from me…. Asking $48,500.00 will take $47,000 This 2020 New Holland C345 is in great shape with only a little over 1900 hours. The Machine features High Flow Hydraulics, Rear Camera, Premium Display, Two Speed, Pattern Changer, Quick Change, as well as an Enclosed cab. Any thoughts on this?

  9. #9MarcusZ19672024-08-27 13:18

    That is a nice 90hp machine! Good find!!

  10. #10CM19952024-08-27 18:38

    At 90HP does it require DEF? If so OP I would stay away from skids/CTL's with DEF. Stick with 74HP or below. It's the reason we run 279D's.

  11. #11TCat2024-08-27 20:52

    I’m sure others will disagree, but I was told by an equipment wholesaler about three years ago or so to steer clear of the New Holland skid steers. Both wheels and tracks. The wholesaler told me that they had ruined the reliability of what used to be a near bulletproof brand of machine. I’ve also heard Case units are not so reliable, but who knows that could be wrong. Case units tend to do a lot of heavy construction work I think. One thing I would suggest regardless of what brand you choose is to think about wide tracks based on your mentioned soft, sinking issues, and maybe take your mechanic friend with you to help evaluate any machine you intend to potentially buy. I have a 2001 Bobcat 763 G series that I got at a RB auction with 1400 hrs on it for 10k and I couldn’t be happier with the service Ive gotten from it. Mine was a former United Rentals machine with a fresh service on it. Not sure if the current Bobcat models are still any good or not, but I think Cat, Deere, Bobcat, Kubota and perhaps Takeuchi are where I would stay.

  12. #12MarcusZ19672024-08-28 05:52

    Burried Right at the bottom...... Yeah didn't catch that. https://cnhi-p-001-delivery.sitecorecontenthub.cloud/api/public/content/edbea13603484d92b9e5c8f7fe4e032f?v=cdea70bc

  13. #13CM19952024-08-28 09:12

    I didn't look..

  14. #14MarcusZ19672024-08-28 09:29

    INSERT :banghead: emojo...... Need more of those here.... jus' sayin'

  15. #15Roogie2024-08-28 09:37

    What is the deal with DEF, is it kind of like the AC in the older cars. It takes away power and adds another level of service?

  16. #16Roogie2024-08-28 09:38

    Thanks for the input. I wonder if there are lemon years of the New Holland to stay away from?

  17. #17Roogie2024-08-28 09:41

    Thanks MArcus, I’m going to go look at it on Monday and hopefully be able to bring my mechanic along to look at it. This gives me a little time to do additional research on it and shop around a little more.

  18. #18MarcusZ19672024-08-28 09:42

    One reason we look for "older" equipment. HeavyEquipmentForums

  19. #19Roogie2024-08-28 09:52

    Thanks to everyone with ideas, thoughts and input. Here’s another one I found on CL. It’s been listed for about a month. Comparing these 3 machines… “ 2020 New Holland C35 -(see above posting and photos, its been listed for 7 days) “ 2019 ST35 Wacker Neuson skid steer machine good condition and comes with bucket and forks - 284hrs - weighs just under 10k - enclosed cab heat and AC “ CAT 259Ds” low hours, enclosed cab, fully loaded. I will be getting more details today and hopefully some photos.

  20. #20CM19952024-08-28 11:04

    DEF is an unnecessary emissions fluid system demanded by the US gov't that has a bunch of sensors and nozzles that when, not if, they go bad will derate the machine and shut it down. I had around $8K in non-warranty repairs of the DEF system on a 2018 325FL. Sure that is a 50K excavator but you get the idea. CTL's are a cramped engine bay to begin with then add the DEF system and it is a recipe for heart ache IMO. A/C? You'll want A/C. The Wackers I've seen at Conexpo looked like nice machines that are well built. Never operated one.

  21. #21Roogie2024-08-28 12:51

    Thank you CM1995

  22. #22ozarkag2024-08-28 19:10

    That is a nice first Gen Wacker, but.. . The early machines were just meh OK. Newer ones will have the Kohler engine, and no DPF or regen. ( another emissions deal that adds problems). 2019 is actually the split year on those.

  23. #23Roogie2024-08-29 16:09
  24. #24Roogie2024-08-29 21:17

    Thanks for the input everyone. I have found a 2018 CAT 259D with 900 hours that I purchased today. Very clean and well maintained machine.

  25. #25CM19952024-08-30 09:47

    Congrats! Rules say you gotta post pics. Don't know about the 259's but our 279D's have been great machines, 2016 and 2019.

  26. #26TCat2024-08-30 21:50

    Low hrs and a Cat. I like it.

  27. #27Roogie2024-08-31 11:29

    I like to sleep good at night by obeying the rules . It’s been in my yard for two days and today is the day is the day goes to work… I’ve named it HECTOR Pre emissions and it came with a set of forks, pretty jacked to get to work!!

  28. #28Roogie2024-08-31 11:33

    Higher resolution for your eye popping pleasure.

  29. #29TCat2024-08-31 19:10

    Very very nice. Hard not to be envious, but some day!!!