Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New to tractors.. need some help with this Case 530

Psyc-Hoe ยท 2026-06-15 19:58

I'm a new tractor owner and have some questions about an older backhoe I just picked up. My wife and I have 5 acres up in the Lost Sierras and I needed something to help prep the property for building a small house. I've been doing a lot of research on this site, and I just have a few million questions. I know you can't always trust the decal, but I THINK this is a 60's Diesel 530CK with a 32 backhoe and bucket. The serial number on the side of the cowling is gone so I don't know the specific year. I ordered a manual on Ebay (surprised there wasn't anything I could download online) and while I wait I want to tear into it and start replacing fluids, filters and sensors/gauges. I starts right up and everything works but there are some leaking rams (the one on the drinkers side front loader is sheared off) and hoses I'll need to replace. A couple questions: Where are you guys mounting your battery? I bought a Group 31 and the top terminals are dangerously close to that metal steering shroud. During transport there were definitely some sparks! I did find this small ID plate next to the loader controls.. is this the serial number for the tractor? I appreciate any help you guys can offer! Thanks!

Replies13
  1. #1Simon C2026-06-15 21:41

    Looks like some kind of Filter housing. Serial number will be elsewhere. Maybe post some more pictures of the dash, fuel system, control levers and maybe someone else that has a similar unit will chime in. Simon C

  2. #2Welder Dave2026-06-15 22:59

    Interesting ROPS canopy. Other than the rear tire being backwards it looks like a pretty straight older backhoe! I hope it works good for you.

  3. #3Psyc-Hoe2026-06-15 23:22

    Thanks Simon, will do. Thanks Dave. Ha! I didn't notice that tire. It came with two spares (the re-tread on the other side is in terrible condition!) so I'll see if I can flip it. Here's a couple more photos to help with narrowing down the year: Is there an alternative place to stash the battery? The Group 31 I have puts the terminals very close to that metal shroud under the steering column.

  4. #4td14steve2026-06-16 05:38

    I have Just about the same tractor. Battery is in the same place pretty tight but stays put uf uts strapped in, There really isn't anywhere else to put it.

  5. #5Tinkerer2026-06-16 08:05

    https://www.casece.com/en-us/northamerica/products/prior-models The Case 580CK and 530 are basically the same tractor with a different size backhoe.

  6. #6nova4812026-06-16 08:18

    These could help

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-06-16 14:11

    I wonder if the original battery could have been smaller than a group 31? You could maybe change to a different battery and/or change the cables and use a side post threaded battery.

  8. #8Psyc-Hoe2026-06-16 16:16

    Thanks! Those are good ideas.. if I make sure it's strapped down tight and also use those rubber terminal covers that should prevent shorts. I suspect that's what happened to the wiring behind the instrument cluster. Naked copper with no insulation.. scary! I think I'll just gut it and add aftermarket Fuel, Temp and Oil pressure gauges. Does anyone have the wiring schematic for this model while I wait for my manual to ship?

  9. #9JBrady2026-06-16 17:00

    It is probably going to be easier to just start over with new wires and gauges. You don' really need fuel (just open the lid and look). Water temp and oil pressure should be enough to keep you safe. Mechanical gauges don't need any 12v unless you want to hook up the lights. Just find a port for the water and oil senders and route them back to the dash. For lights on the tractor, go with the LED ones and then wire them to a relay energized by a switch. Also, Yesterdaystractors.com is a great website for older parts. This is assuming you want the tractor for working it and not a restoration project.

  10. #10AU.CASE2026-06-18 06:12

    We have a 1966 CASE Construction Equipment dealer catalogue, (complete range) Publication Number: CE-48466C which was supplied to the State Government Water Authority and came along with boxes of spares, service manual and our first dozer (CASE D750 / 1968) from said department disposal. This is the first page extract on the 530.

  11. #11Tinkerer2026-06-18 20:36

    Case has that 530 brochure and hundreds of others available to read and download. Here is a link to the 530. You can navigate to all the others from it. https://www.casece.com/en-us/northamerica/products/prior-models.

  12. #12AU.CASE2026-07-01 19:31

    Yes very good, the book I have shows all the accessories with each model in the Australian range for 1966. The section on the 530CK [I just checked] has 32 pages, the tractor, rear, front, forklift, features, engine, transmission and so on, after all it is a dealer catalogue, quite amazing, now that I look.

  13. #13Deere500a2026-07-02 12:31

    Neat before the extendahoe Case had the slide boom.