if I can get liquid nitrogen is that a good method for installing the master pin on the tracks? my concern was damaging anything to do with lubrication. I've run excavators 35 years but never installed a master pin.
It sounds like you have a press in master pin. It usually isn't that hard for the small machines like yours. Some of the old Deere units only pressed on one end of the pin. Check the pin before you install it to see if that is the case. I usually pack the small end of the link with grease or antiseize before mating the ends together and then use the old master pin as a dummy to keep the holes lined up. I have an old bucket pin I use as a drift to drive the new pin once you have it started. When the new pin starts in the far hole, I move the machine so the first bottom roller flange is holding the big side of the link from trying to spread. Good Luck
One trick I have always done when installing new master pins is I'll put the master pin in the freezer for a day. Get the rails all lined up, then grab your "frozen" pin and install as quick as possible.
Freezer might not be cold enough. Liquid nitrogen would work if you're careful or you could use dry ice that isn't as cold but still a lot colder than in a freezer. A had pins for a JD355D in a freezer and it didn't make much difference.
Good day You may find the attached helpful Kind regards Uffex
For fun reference only.
thank you guys I appreciate all the good ideas especially setting the master link against the first bottom roller. I have a lot of experience with installing things with liquid nitrogen, that's why I thought of it. The other idea I had was just using a couple pieces of channel and some bolts and welding and make my own pin press using a porta-power. I don't have to make an open sided press I can bolt it right across the links so I have channel iron on each side and then a place to rest the porta-power unit. Typical of me to overthink it This machine has over 9,000 hours and the next things are going to be tighten up all of the loose bucket and stick and boom bushings. One thing at a time!
Something interesting I noticed, it looks like the factory pins are blind. You must have to pull them out?
Pin might go in pretty easy with liquid nitrogen and it sounds like you have experience using it. A C-clamp or Bessey Clamp might be all it needs to push the pin in.
Yes I installed a lot of aerospace bushings in a previous life with liquid nitrogen. I will also be sure to find a nice brass drift. you don't want to tap on a really cold pin with steel.
Track pins are never going to go in with a C clamp. No matter how cold you make it, you are still going to have to drive it with a big hammer and a drift. It has to be done quick because when the pin warms up to link temperature, that is where it is going to stay.
C-clamps are available up to 20 tons clamping force. I wasn't talking about extra heavy duty clamps. I wouldn't think you'd need near that much when already using liquid nitrogen. Tightening with an impact wrench could be pretty quick, similar to track press. Bessey clamps are rated up to 7770lbs. and I'm sure have been overloaded at times. https://www.wiltontools.com/us/en/view-series/o-series-bridge-c-clamps/OSerBCClamp
Those pins are small diameter ,not much shrinkage available when you freeze them . As soon as they hit warm links they warm up. A proper press is best, but a bit of never sieze and a sledge hammer with a good pin driver will work. As said earlier ,back up the master link on a roller flange. A 20 lb sledge exerts tremendous force if it hits something solid.
Just joking. It's also a C clamp.
I should have said I was talking about extra heavy duty C-Clamps and wasn't talking about the ones you find in the farm store.
If you are using that, you don't need no stinking nitrogen.
On site, portable...and Pumping by hand only. P/S: I swear I am not HEMS Ltd salesman.
Nice video, but anyone can work tracks with the right tools
dumb question, but have you tried the pin yet? I just did the chains on my hyundai 130 over the winter. I too was worried about the pin, but it slide right in.
The original master pin on those slipped in and was retained with a snap ring. Excavator tracks especially itty bitty ones (no offense) typically are softer and have a lot less press than dozer tracks, for the simple reason they don't usually do as much work nor push stuff. If you do have a press in pin, no harm at all in Nitrogen, or dry ice, probably put it in with your gloved fingers and wait for it to expand into place. YMMV
I have never had that experience with a press in pin. I have done one or two in my career.
OK i got the tracks yesterday, and boy do I feel silly!! These are not interference pins on the replacement tracks. They are slip fit with a notch and a cross pin you heat up, bend over, and torch off the remainder. No offense at the little iron comment. I have been an operator for 30 years and have operated through 750 sized machines. I do love the portability of the 120. I managed to wrestle one on today. I found another lower roller I wanted to replace, so the second track will be waiting on parts. I have to put together a torch, so I just yarded the old track off using the mini excavator. I unrolled and pulled the new track under, then fed it up over the sprocket. It was one of those days I could not get any help, so it was a lot of jumping between machines to get it done. I set it up to make the pin at the top of the idler. I did not need a come-along or anything besides a hammer and a big pair of channel lock pliers.
Sounds like a good day!
It was! Started out like this: Then the mini and I said " come with us you worn out slinky! new track rolled out ready to drag through. This is where it would be easier to back onto the new track, but I was not set up right for that. Maybe on the other side Monday.
For you fellows you could use dried ice, to activate it use pour diesel on it, the you have your liquid nitrogen
Dry ice is not nearly as cold as liquid nitrogen. Liquid nitrogen is approx. 210F colder. Adding liquid to it doesn't turn it into liquid nitrogen or make it as cold. If it did why is liquid nitrogen still used extensively on large equipment?
I got the other track on and pinned, The girl has new shoes! Now we can go to town Saturday night to the dance
I only have one question after this experience: Spacely Sprockets or Cogswell Cogs? Looking just a little limber
The job's not done till you haul off the carcasses. P & H at the scrapper. Note the chunks of ship hull behind it. They are 12 miles from the nearest port, so it had to be a good deal to haul it up there to break it up. They bring in lowboy-sized chunks. Manitowoc of unknown model in the background. Scrapper's Link-Belt grapple with many missing track pads. She's a beaut! I got there and a hapless young lad with a truck box wider than his short two axle trailer was just struggling to get back on the dead-end scale. The scrap guys could only yell directions at him, because of liability. This old honey badger didn't give a ****, so I offered to do it for him. After all, I had things to do and places to go. He gladly accepted. I don't know if he picked up on the slight curve trick but I backed it on in one go, then backed it to that hoe above for the grapple, then back on the scale in one go for the light weight. I suggested some flags on the fenders to help out.