Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New trailer

Orchard Ex · 2009-09-14 12:08

I needed a little utility trailer to mount my Hydroseeder onto but I couldn't find any that I liked. So I welded this one up in my backyard. 7k axle and tires. I plan on adding hose racks and a tool bin on later.

Replies19
  1. #1jimmyjack2009-09-14 13:34

    nice job.....

  2. #2tonka2009-09-14 16:33

    yeah real nice job!

  3. #3cat3202009-09-14 18:21

    real nice trailer just woundering what it cost to fab something like that ? always thought of doing one for a small machine.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2009-09-14 19:02

    Are you certified to do that type of work???:wink2

  5. #5erthmover2009-09-14 19:29

    Looks great!:thumbsup

  6. #6Orchard Ex2009-09-14 20:07

    Thanks Well... I am purposely not adding up the receipts because I don't want to know. I will say that it is cheaper to buy one unless you want something out of the ordinary. If I had to guess it would be about half again the cost of a cheapie landscaper trailer. I wanted a single heavy axle, rolled toward the back for balance, a longer tongue to work with the dump truck and a flat open deck for easy loading of mulch bales. It's OK, I read about it on an internet forum once...

  7. #7Shlomo2009-09-15 09:34

    a nice production A fine trailer. Has a very professional look.

  8. #8Jesus Rios2009-10-15 22:56

    Hi Orchard Ex, very nice job, I am from Mèxico and have built one small trailer, one axle to pull with my truck, a chevrolet pick up like yours the color, only one cuestion, how long and wide is this trailer`s deck??

  9. #9tonka2009-10-15 23:14

    well by counting the 2x6's its aprox 7 and a half feet wide:beatsme

  10. #10-NICK-2009-10-15 23:25

    looks good only question where are the tie downs?

  11. #11tonka2009-10-16 00:24

    Hey um Nick i know your a lowbedder but in the first pic theres one... its the lil thingy on the underside of the trailer in the front, LOL...

  12. #12-NICK-2009-10-16 00:29

    ah I see now.I was expecting to see them in the deck you know those recessed d rings.:notworthy

  13. #13tonka2009-10-16 07:13

    LOL its ok we all have brain farts from time to time Nick.:drinkup

  14. #14CM19952009-10-16 14:44

    Nice work!:drinkup How do you go about getting a tag for it without a Manuf. certificate of Origin? Or is it Orchard's Trailer Company?

  15. #15tonka2009-10-16 15:05

    All you do is tell the DMV it's homemade, and take it to them to cert it, and tag it, easy peezy lemon squeezy!

  16. #16Steve Frazier2009-10-16 18:34

    and they will also assign it a VIN

  17. #17Orchard Ex2009-10-16 22:13

    It's 81" between the fenders and the deck is 13' 4". Only the 1 winch because it has a hydroseeder mounted on the back, and the strap winch is to hold down mulch bales and seed sacks up front. I've also mounted a 2" water pump up in the tongue and I plan to add a tool box soon. Tonka and Steve are right about the tag. In MD we fill out a form for a homemade trailer, pay the title fee and the temp tag fee, get a VIN assigned, get it inspected, pay the taxes, pay for the real tags and get the plates and stickers. I've used it a few times and it tows nicely behind the Pete. Thanks for the compliments!

  18. #18Jesus Rios2009-10-23 18:14

    does this trailer have electric brakes?

  19. #19Orchard Ex2009-10-23 20:45

    Yep, with a breakaway battery kit.