Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New trailer help

tbaero153 ยท 2016-03-09 07:47

Hello all, I will be taking delivery on a new equipment trailer in a few weeks. I was hoping to gain some knowledge on how best to keep it looking good. Is there anything you would do from when new to protect the deck, the underside and overall paint? I have heard some people treat the deck with some kind of oils or such. Has any one used fluid film underneath and if so did it help out. Any info would be much appreciated.Thank you

Replies6
  1. #1jprefect2016-03-09 10:03

    I would say just keep it clean. Power washing once a week would make a huge difference.

  2. #2hetkind2016-03-09 10:12

    Often times, some linseed oil on the wooden deck will help preserve it...but too much will make it slick or sticky, and the application rags are self igniting if left in a stack. So a light coating of linseed oil a couple of times a year to the wooden deck would be my choice. The more the wood weathers, the more oil it will absorb. Howard

  3. #3mitch5042016-03-09 21:10

    I put a new deck on one about 2 years ago, coated it thoroughly with Thompson's Water Seal, so far so good.

  4. #4CM19952016-03-09 21:22

    I bought a heavy tag trailer new in 2005. Before the first piece of equipment was loaded on it I literally dumped 10 gallons of linseed oil on it and let it sit for several days in the hot sun to soak in. Applied 5 gallons and swept it in with a broom, waited a day and put another 5 gallons on it. That deck has lasted longer than any other trailer deck I've had. Last week I bought enough 2" oak to re-floor the trailer for the first time. Now the floor is in pretty bad shape but it'll still haul a piece of iron. When it get's re-decked it will get 10 gallons of linseed oil applied in the same manner. I experienced no problems with the deck being slick or excessively sticky on the original application however I did it in an Alabama summer so the temps. were hot.

  5. #5lumberjack2016-03-09 22:38

    What kind of wood was your first deck, CM?

  6. #6CM19952016-03-10 07:05

    Original was white oak.