Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Trailer Purchase Advice

redcat ยท 2014-08-18 13:18

Hello I will be hauling a old combine from the Mankato MN area back to the east coast in the next six weeks or so, it weighs about 5000 lb. I was planning on using a 1200 gvw 16 foot flat bed trailer, pulling it there and back. The fellow who will be disassembling and loading the machine is concerned that I may need a bit more then 16 feet. It has been suggested that I might consider buying a trailer somewhere along the route. The idea is that I may be able to find a better price on a new trailer outside of New England where I live, (MA). Do you know if there is a big price difference between New England and other parts of the country? (I think that I have heard that many trailers are built in Missouri and Indiana.) I have looked a some at prices in the MN and IA areas and they don't seem to be much less then here. I am having trouble figuring out where to start on a search for reliable trailer dealers too. Thanks for help.

Replies9
  1. #1old-iron-habit2014-08-18 14:49

    Find out where your dealer buys them and pick it up for him at the manufacturer if it's on the way and save the shipping. That way you still get your dealer support for warranty and parts in the future.

  2. #2RTSmith2014-08-25 17:13

    Most trailers in that size don't have much markup, so the savings is freight as you mention. And they ship 6 or so on a load, so yes you can save, but not a ton. But- if you find one there, you don't have to drag it out there..! But if it adds much time to run out of route to fetch it, then may be a wash on savings.

  3. #3kendall692014-12-09 17:45

    Take a look at this site, he's a small shop and will customize it the way you want it. http://www.imagotrailers.com/

  4. #4JNB2014-12-09 17:50

    I'm sure that driving from Mass to Cali to pickup a load in Minnesota would save a ton of money.

  5. #5kendall692014-12-09 18:11

    Tryu thinking outside the box Considering I drove across the USA to save 10K on a tractor, another time I saved 15K by driving from Ca. to Kansas for a piece of equipment. I saved 30K by buying a track loader in New York and having it shipped to Ca.. So GEE, I guess one will never know unless you compare prices - isn't that right Ever heard of shipping companies. Try thinking outside the box. :Banghead

  6. #6JNB2014-12-09 18:55

    Oh, so you didn't dredge up a thread from August just to give a shop a free plug? Well I apologize then...

  7. #7kendall692014-12-09 19:08

    OH so you don't want to offer help to the OP just bash people that do....OH I SEE. You are the forum bully who tromps on people, makes accusations, offers no help and are here just to add your useless two cents to threads. Oh and I see, because people like me that actually are busy and can't spend their life on this thread like you sitting in your parents basement in your underwear waiting to be as negative and unhelpful as you can to people. If a " PLUG" is defined as CALL AN EXPERT that I am aware of is your definition then sure I plug EXPERTS that can actually help the OP with questions rather than comer to a heavy equipment site and get insipid morons like you to chime in with absolutely no help what so ever. Now I'm sure either I hear your Mommy calling you or you need to help the next guy in line by asking him what he wants on his burger:tong

  8. #8JNB2014-12-09 19:13

    Funny stuff there Kendall

  9. #9redneckracin2014-12-10 16:44

    What model of combine are you talking about? What is the header width? 16' sounds like it would have to fit perfectly to make it work. Its amazing how quickly you run out of room. What happens if you can't get the machine to balance right but it fits? It could be a LONG ride back with a poorly balanced trailer.