Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Undercarriage

telwood ยท 2013-06-21 20:26

Just got my track loader back from the shop after a complete new undercarriage replacement. I noticed the tracks were adjusted very tight. Is it typical for the tracks to be tight after replacement? I have no problem adjusting but wondered if they are tight for a reason....maybe for a break-in period?

Replies4
  1. #1DMiller2013-06-22 06:46

    Did you get sealed and lubricated pins/bushings? It could be just new rails they wanted tight as considered for break in to get the stiffness out, should be some deflection in the high point on the rail not drawstring tight.

  2. #2telwood2013-06-22 19:15

    I checked it this morning and just the right side was tight so I adjusted it and ran it a few hours...all seems well so assume they just put a bit too much grease in one side. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

  3. #3DMiller2013-06-22 20:19

    Check one thing while you are at it. Run the machine forward 1 full rail length, no turns just stop and recheck the tension on both rails.

  4. #4KCxpat2013-06-25 04:32

    They shouldn't ever be super tight. I suggest letting grease out until they meet the specification that is spelled out in the owners manual. Also in the owners manual is the procedure on how to measure the exact sag. Running them over tight will reduce track and idler life, for sure.