Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Zealand Earthquake

CM1995 ยท 2016-11-14 08:01

Thoughts and prayers to our friends in New Zealand. Looks like it was a 7.8 in magnitude - http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000778i#executive Multiple aftershocks - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-hours-7-8-earthquake-killed-two-people.html

Replies16
  1. #1Scrub Puller2016-11-14 12:33

    Yair . . . Good one CM1995 Folks there will appreciate thoughts and prayers from the other side of our world. Early reports here show massive infrastructure damage, due to subsidence and landslides, there are two reported deaths. Best wishes from Australia to anyone in harms way.

  2. #2Tones2016-11-14 14:53

    I worked through this area 30-40 years ago on road upgrades and we throught we had some pretty big jobs to do but the cleanup and reinstatment is going to be massave. The geotech part alone is going to a huge job as all the ground structures have changed. My wife and did a trip through this area on our belated honeymoon earlier this year and we cannot belive that with all the tourist traffic and truck movements in the area that only 2 poor souls lost their lives. To you you Kiwi's, Be Strong (Kia Kaha)and best wishes

  3. #3Labparamour2016-11-14 19:00

    Agree, hope everyone and their families are safe and there's no other casualties than the two mentioned. Prayers to all.

  4. #4CM19952016-11-14 19:43

    The pictures and reports I'm seeing shows a massive amount of infrastructure and building damage. It's a miracle that only two poor souls lost their life, it could've been much, much worse.

  5. #5td25c2016-11-14 22:00

    Thoughts & prayers for our mates in New Zealand . Hope D6 Merv is ok & doing well given the bad circumstance .

  6. #6D6 Merv2016-11-14 22:28

    Cheers TD25C; yeah im in the north island and hasn,t been anything up where I am; but lower end of north island has had a lot of shocks and some damage there. Biggest damage is upper end of the south island with massive damage to road and rail networks. Is raining severely there too and this will make a lot of the landslides worse and more dangerous to clear. Thanks Merv

  7. #7Scrub Puller2016-11-14 22:52

    Yair . . . Gotcha D6 Merv Sad times mate, I haven't seen you posting for a while and wondered how you were traveling. Cheers.

  8. #8D6 Merv2016-11-15 01:30

    Am still alive and well scrub. Tend to spend more time on facebook these days; as is a lot of machinery chat sites on there that I tend to get involved with ! Quite a lot of the guys from a lot of the sites post there too and is just a matter of working out there real names from there 'handles' from off here and other sites ! Cheers mervyn pepper.

  9. #9DIYDAVE2016-11-15 07:57

    For some, the quake was cattlestrophic, I herd. https://youtu.be/6v9bgcli1dg Feel free to add your puns below. I'd better be mooooving along...

  10. #10D6 Merv2016-11-15 12:23

    yeah the pic of the cattle on there island made worldwide news alright ! They were rescued yesterday by their farmer owner who went up there with a shovel and hand dug a escape track for them.

  11. #11Wytruckwrench2016-11-15 13:41

    Prayers and thoughts to our mates there..

  12. #12Tones2016-11-15 14:53

    Reports that the land in some areas has risen or dropped 15m.

  13. #13fast_st2016-11-15 16:41

    I heard about the upheval, that's massive! Need some big equipment to get that road cleared out fast! What a mess. The picture of the rail line that skidded across the blacktop is impressive!

  14. #14CM19952016-11-15 18:13

    When I first saw that picture on FB as the news was coming in I thought it was photoshopped. Good to know you didn't get the brunt of it Merv. 15M of land movement is massive, it's hard to wrap your head around that number.

  15. #15Tones2016-11-22 20:28

    In the press today it has beem mentioned that they may require about 1000 workers more the is available in NZ for the earthquake cleanup which some could operators. No decision has been made on clearing the coast road or to build a new road inland. It's going to be a huge job which ever way. I found this info on stuff.nz.co I have no idea how to send a link

  16. #16Tones2016-11-23 00:34

    www.stuff.co.nz finally got to sent a link.