Thought as Ive been in the states driving a bit and now back home I would show some pics of how we operate down here.Simply put as far as weights go on big trucks ie 18 wheeler tractor with say quad semi we can go to 45500kgs gross ( 103000lbs approx ).Wont do a essay hopefully you enjoy the pics.
Thats a tidy FH12.....I was going to make a derogatory post about sheep trucks but
great pictures, thansk for sharing. thansk KoO Published Author
Glad you both enjoy them.
Nice pics! It would take me a while to get use to driving on the opposite side of the road!:drinkup
You just liked the fact that the first one had snow in it.
yes nice snow digger, in a couple of weeks we will be having snow here in the great white north. then i can play with my cats, LOL why so big of head lites on the western star???? thansk KoO Published Author
Nice pics, quite some contrast there between the FH12 in the snow and the ? ( big yank truck ) in the town enviroment. Big W on bonnet possibly a Western Star ( thanks Koo ) Can you please explain the wheel and turning set up in the pic of the FH12. I know its a 6x4 unit and take it the last is a standard twin axle trailer with a king pin but how are the 3 axles in the middle configured, we dont have anything remotely like that in the UK that I have ever come across, and the two boxes seem very close together. As for weights we can now run at 44t (44,000 kg) on 6 axles, but with permits and loads of paperwork can and do go alot heavier.
deleted repeat post :Banghead
Can someone explain the air cleaner set up on the Western Star? That is the first time I have seen something like that.
i would think its to keep them up out of the dust nice picture of the foden ... R I P
Pretty much standard setup for our part of the world Bob although NZ is less likely to be as dusty as road trains experience in parts of Aus. The air ram is up high for clean air and filter is generally larger than standard. http://www.westernstar.com.au/wstar_au/index.asp The pics at the top of the page will change every so often.
The lead trailer has a 5th wheel over the rear axle. Called a Super B train. Up here in Alberta and B.c that would legal grossed @ 63500kg
Look ooooooooooouuuuuuuuut! Yer on the wrong side of the road. Nice rigs running there. Thanks for sharing. And yes ther fer a minute I thought I saw an accident in progress. That means it time for bed and 3 hours of sleep go to school and then work and then three more hours of sleep and do it again, all week. Glad my financial aid disbursement will be here in another 2 weeks all i do on weekends is sleep.
Thanks for the info. Squizzy. I figured it was for that, but it would only work if you were following someone close. On the construction sites I work on, the dust is in the air higher than those intakes, so it wouldn't make much difference. It could also double as a deep water crossing snorkle, however, it you ever crossed water deep enough to need them, clean dry air would be the last thing to worry about. On an Ice Road Truckers episode I was watching, I noticed that the Western Stars had an input out to the air cleaners from the warm engine compartment. Cleaver, those Canadians.
also on their super b trailers. the fifth wheel on the lead trailer swivals, none of them in canada swival. thansk KoO Published Author
Mack has a damper to draw under hood air whenever the wipers are on.Their intent I believe was to keep the snow out of the air cleaners which is a problem with plow trucks.Ron G
Bob, some of our roads aren't the best......
wow! that last truck is scary. otherwise, just keep the pics rolling
Looks a lot like the roads where I live. A lot of them are private dirt roads several miles in length with a bunch of homes/ranches off of them. My ranch is over a mile off the main highway on a dirt road shared by about 30 other properties, some as far a 5 miles farther than I am.
I know I love those giant guards that get put on those trucks. If I'm thinking correctly ( which is more and more in doubt these days) to keep kangaroos and other critters from doing major harm to the truck. This reminds me they're making a fourth Mad Max movie now or soon. The first is a classic the others... ok but didn't have enough or any of that bad ( as in sweet, awesome or anything else that denotes coolness) XB Falcon. too bad it later died a fiery death... sigh :Banghead Any of you guys Down Under ever drive one? if so don't tell me if they happened to be crap Any way time fer a weekend innit?
Sorry being a bit thick here just to be clear. Of the three axles on the lead trailer, the 3rd is actually stuck out back of the trailer and has a fifth wheel on it ?
G'day Atlas Rob, The three axles are actually a tri-axle group mounted to the trailer chassis of what is called the A trailer, which is the first trailer. The body on the A trailer, whether it is a pantech, stock crate, flat top or tipper is shorter so that there is enough room at the end of the trailer frame to mount a fifth wheel, which then has the second trailer (B trailer) attached to it. With tippers, the tri-axle group slides in the trailer frame so when tipping the A trailer, the B trailer is unhooked, the axle group is slid forward and then the A trailer can be tipped. To slide the axle group there are air operated pins that lock it to the trailer frame, these are released, the rig is reversed and then the trailer brakes are applied and this in turn slides the axles forward where they are locked again and the trailer can be tipped. It also can be used as a single trailer as well as a B Double. This link explains it a little better. http://www.tefco.com.au/Models/BDoubleATrailers/SliderATrailer/tabid/718/language/en-US/Default.aspx Rn'R.
Cabovers are rare here anymore, see an old model on the highway once in a while. See about as many set up as a straight flatbed as with 5th wheels. I don't recall ever seeing a cabover on the Ice Road Truckers series.
Top Man Rn'R Thank you very much for the explanation and the link :drinkup I would never have worked out the set up, and for a tipper I would have assumed ( never assume ) it was a side tip The nearest I have seen in the UK is on a brick carrying artic, it has a deck above the triple axles to carry a full load, but for access to tight sites the triple slides under ( minus the bricks ) and I now know where some smart *** got the idea from :thumbsup
giant guards? i assume you mean the bull bar which is more of use for cattle, water buffalo and camels than roos. 4th mad max looks likr getting underway soon but is being filmed in africa. they did start on it a while back but shelved it (inc all the cars built for it) cause of the gulf war. and fyi the xb is/was a pos in the handling stakes, too light in the rear end.
Gald you guys are enjoying the pics.Here a couple more.
Hpoe you enjoy.
A t950 based in Christchurch. A brand new Freightliner Argusy. A old White with a ts14 and 4 axle semi trailer.
Nice Pics! In the pic of the KW there is a Mercedes with ag tires on it. Any pics of that one?
Sorry bud no pics of that one but will look out for some like it.It is a fert spreader.
Couple more.
Great pics lancef and thanks for sharing. Its intresting to see rope and sheet ( tarp + ratchet straps now ) still being used. Is that still very popular or are curtain siders and boxes ( containers ) more the norm? :drinkup
Yeah still common over here.A lot of trucks like stock or curtin siders are a designed to take there tops off so they are flat tops and can cart hay,steel, timber etc.Being a seasonal country and just as competitive as most countries are in the transport industry we need to adapt to customers requirments. Example a 8 wheeler Wester Star tractor unit came in our yard yesterday with a tank on so in essence he was a truck and would back in to a 4 axle trailer and be a truck and trailer untill the job was done,then take the tank off the tractor unit ,put on his fitth wheel and back under a 45ft semi trailer and cart containers. Pics below are how Freightlines like to operate.Loaded with wool unloaded with sides on and then went and got a load of stones and tipping them off.The sides come off as well and stack against the head board,the are made out of aluminum and weigh about 50 pounds each.Then able to cart timber or pallets etc. Damn I ranted a bit sorry.:drinkup
No you didn't, that is very intresting stuff and thank you for sharing. Sounds like your trucks are very very versatile which they know doubt need to be to be productive. I would be intrested to see a picture of the 8 wheeler ( or similar ) that can swap a tank for a 5th wheel. We seem to have trucks for a job and thats it. Obviously the tractor units swap different trailers, bulk tippers, container sketals, flats, tanks, etc but most of the 8 wheelers now are tippers, and a flat 6 legger are about as rare as rocking horse poo! We get a few "wagon and drag" as we call um ( truck and steerable trailer) and the parcel companies use a box and close coupled trailer set up but our general haulage seems to revolve around an artic. ( or I spend to much time near motorways )
Devanned this the other day Will try and get a pic of the tractor units for ya.Heres a small job we done,pulled out this tigarcat from a 40ft container put the wheels on and some one took it away.Awsume sounding machine. Took about 3 hours with 2 of us.
I was impressed when I saw Brian Hays machine come out of a box, but I would of lost money on a bet about that Tigercat in a box
very nice!I am a new one in truck industrial
WOW! Thems is real, totally cool trucks and configurations.
Im glad peoples are enjoying them.1st two pics are of a bullie I saw in the states when I was driving over there. Check out the sawing action the blade would use with it down,and the third is of our new Western Star.
Couple more.
How would they use that saw blade? Nice Macks, I like the white dumps.
I'm impressed to see some nice "American Muscle" in New Z and down under! That's a sweet Mack Super Liner. But I really like that Mack R model behind it. Nice Trucks. What I'd really like to see, down there, is a Mack B-61 Thermodyne. I'd fall out of my chair if you find one of them, probably the best looking American truck body ever made. I also took notice of post #29 of the White tractor. That looks like a White 9000, man that's from the 70's, and it looks clean and tight! Sharp looking truck. The first "big truck" I drove was a '62 White 4000 with a 160 hp Cummins engine and a 5 x 4 quadraplex Fuller trans set-up. Send us more pics, we love them, you guy's seem to know how to dress up trucks.
There are plenty of B-61s in OZ.Some of the guys will point you to the equipment shows they have down there which have pics of them.They have been linked to this site in the past but I cannot remember where the posts are.Ron G
Some more for ATCOEQUIP.
http://www.macktrucks.com.au/index.cfm?MenuID=305 Two or 3 pics of B-61s here.
I love it! Looks like you guys in New Z and OZ are proud of your Macks. That's some nice B61's! And a decked out Super Liner. Cool trucks.
Couple of old Kws and a English DAF.
Taken at a local show.The digger claims to be the 1st fully hydrolic digger in New Zealand. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/
Hey Squizzy, just looking at your pic on page 2 of the Mack Titan....is that running in Hampton's Colours as an RTA unit . My understanding is RTA owns Hamptons and Gulf owns RTA...is this the case? If so...that looks a pretty new outfit, is RTA adopting Hamptons colours abandoning their own and doing away with the Hamptons name as well? Be a shame if the RTA colours are phased out, somewhat similar to the old Buntine colours...
Peterbilt in N.Z. The peterbilt in post #4 is the 1st one I have ever seen in N.Z. Being from California we see Petes every day, did not know they were exported. How many are in N.Z., must really turn heads when you drive it!
I love those trucks. I would love to go on a foriegn exchange with any New Zelander who would like to run my shovel, I'll gladly drive your truck!!
Glad you liked the Pete Dug Overburden.No one imports petes here so they are all brought in privatley.We would as a guess have 1-2 hundred in the country doing logs,tipping, transporting bulk liquards.Cople more pics for you peoples to gander at.:drinkup
Petes in N.Z. I assume they are right hand drive? Is there a conversion made by pete for this? Peterbilts are such headturners it must be like in the USA most all drivers would rather drive a Pete than anything else. Is that Commer a 2 stroke? Dug
Whats the engine in Chapman Pete?
FTL Cat Power Superliner FTL Cat Powered Superliner.NZ
The Rome blade was to clear brush, and Rome made plows for Tanks to clear mine fields
yeah , i don't think i could drive down there. shifting leftie, and everything else. i guess it would just take time like switching from cat to deere controls
the green peterbilt belongs to a Co down my way in new zealand they come into the quarry alot. they import the trucks & change them from left to right hand drive .the Co is made up mostly of petes & are all well looked after. cheers bluey.
As a Yank that lived in the land of the long white cloud for a few years, and I hold a Heavy Truck NZ License, them monsters used to scare the soup outta me and my Kiwi better half when they came sliding around some of those tight turns on Highway One while we were on our motorbike!
hi there juggernaut i take it your talking about there lpg tankers lol..year there trucks are mint they take alot of pride in there rigs. did you drive a truck in nz?
NZ Operator Howdy I obtained my HT License by attending the accelerated school in Taranaga. 2 day course + $600 = HT License. I needed it to rent a large moving truck, then a motor home we owned. I did hold a CDL in the states years ago. If your not a working operator here, you lose it. My 610 Volvo is actually reclassified and registered as a motor home where as you do not nee a HT/CDL to operate on this side of the pond.
On the theme of trucking down-under, here is a rig working on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory. It is one of a set of 4 running between a mine site and export whalf. It is refered as a "B Quad". This one along with the set of belly dump trailers is brand new on the day it was delivered to site delivered. Each trailer has a turntable which carries the front of the next trailer. Good tracking and no sway like a conventional 3 trailer road train. Total gross weight close to 250 tons. The Kenworths are powered by double turbo Cat C15s putting out 620hp at 50psi manifold boost. The Red Kenworth is powered by a 600hp Cummins and hauling 3 side tipping trailers. These Kenworths are fitted with tri-drive axles for extra traction. Regards, John
The only thing I know about New Zealand trucking is, don't ride a motorcycle in the rain behind a sheep truck...
And a cow truck.
74 Kenworth LW924 Thought you guys might enjoy these YouTube - Kenworth LW YouTube - Kenworth LW part II They are a couple of vidios of the old girl carting a load of poplar pulp to Tokoroa. Engine is now a 400 Big Cam III orgininaly it had a 335 small cam. Gearbox is the 15 speed roadranger. The overdrive round the corner 4th gear option. Diffs are the sshd's The truck was brought into the countrey by the NZFS then to become part of Pan Pac. The colours are the Paul Carters from Tokoroa. Enjoy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/3164518201/in/set-72157611655928908/ 660 HP Stocktruck
Couple more New Zealand trucks.I work for the 1st one as a Dispatcher. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/3137336338/in/set-72157611655928908/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/3164519451/in/set-72157611655928908/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/3165350472/in/set-72157611655928908/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/3164517293/in/set-72157611655928908/
Hey Aussie John, I've got some family living/workin in Groote Eylandt! Small world. Even smaller town by the sounds of it
Mitch, yes it is a small community. I finished up there 2 months ago and back in the Central Queensland Coal Fields now, assisting in the maintenance planning on a fleet of 7 walking draglines & a P&H 4100 shovel along with half a dozen O&K diggers - RH120 up to RH200. Regards, John
Sounds interesting!! Biggest I get to work on at the moment is 30t excavators and dump trucks, LOL Tiny compared to your stuff!! Maybe one day when I'm in Oz I'll get to play with those!!
Some New Zealand and USA trucks. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/sets/72157611655928908/
Hello Lancef. There are lots of interesting trucks there! Especially the first picture of those photos.
Parked up out side my place today. https://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/14462993019/
Little job I had to do the other day. Normans Transport by lancef2 , on Flickr
One of our trucks were I work. https://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/15614176348/
Nice looking Scania mate. Is that a common combo in NZ? ie twin steer rigid with a trailer?
Very common, you might see some more in this album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/sets/72157611655928908/
shut up you old grandma you are so stuped
Nice KW. Kenworth by Lance , on Flickr
2013 FREIGHTLINER FRL ARGOSY by Lance , on Flickr
Restored KW https://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/16533090245/in/photostream/lightbox/