Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newb question about hydraulic pressure testing

Grease Daily · 2025-03-23 08:53

I'm getting to know my 2019 Hyundai Robex R17z/9a which I recently learned is the same machine as a Case C17C and probably others. I'd love to know if anyone else does. My question though is how to test pressure on some of my hydraulic circuits. I'm a pretty decent auto mechanic but am very new to heavy/hydraulic equipment. I see test ports all over this thing. I have dowloaded the manuals which give me all the specs I'm looking for. First, I'm wondering if someone could recommend some reading and entry level diagnostic tools. Do I simply need a good guage and the proper fittings? Do I need to uncap these fittings to tell which type or is what I'm looking at a common test port? After a full service of this machine at 1k hours I found the hydraulic fluid full and pretty clear but the in tank filter and cleanable screen were pretty bad. I replaced both and kept the original metal strainer (bottom of tank) to clean and possibly reuse. The machine performance did improve. It digs strong but has a really weak cab swing (or whatever that is called). It passed the cab spin test fine so I think flow is ok but I'm concerned about pressure.

Replies5
  1. #1CThemRollinBCD2025-03-23 11:53

    I definitely need to know about this testing also.

  2. #21466IH2025-03-23 12:42

    These should get you started with the basics of equipment and there are several places you can buy testing equipment but here is one of them. They have a pretty complete set for basic testing and adjusting. What pressures exactly are you wanting to adjust and why? Do you know for certain it is low? If all functions are low on pressure it may be a more serious problem than just adjusting a relief. You can serious damage things if you start playing with reliefs and don't know exactly what you are doing so it may be a little safer and better if you can explain what you are trying to accomplish and someone can help guide you through what to check and how to check it. Explore Start learning industrial Hydraulic & Electrical concepts with our free online training sessions. www.lunchboxsessions.com library Master web.archive.org HydraCheck HydraCheck’s benchmark is to be the most reliable source for all maintenance and testing needs. Search our catalog for various solutions. www.hydracheck.com

  3. #3Grease Daily2025-03-24 15:45

    No, I don't know for certain anything is wrong. That's what I'm wanting to figure out. All functions are strong except boom swing. Fluid and all filters are fresh. My only experience with these is a cheap Chinese one ton unit I had before this Hyundai and it seemed a lot stronger side to side. I'm not sure how to better explain this but if I have my boom and stick out and am on a fairly steep incline the machine will doesn't have the strength to move the boom uphill, and this is empty or with nothing more than a half bucket of dirt. Maneuvers like using the boom with tracks to pivot machine are impossible. Does this sound normal for a 2 ton machine?

  4. #41466IH2025-03-24 21:46

    There are several variables to that. I have been in situations where an 80ton machine won't swing up a hill without bringing the load in as close to center as possible. Bucket size, materials type/weight, moisture....I do not know your machine or your situation so I can give you a definite answer.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-03-25 07:59

    Very possible it’s a design feature, to keep balance and safety but may need to be tweaked for personal preference.