Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbi Dynahoe Owner

dynahoe 2 ยท 2015-01-18 13:58

The saga starts with having to dig a garage foundation, dig a few tree stumps and move some large rocks. Always wanting to play with a backhoe I figured this would be a good time to jump in and get a cheap backhoe. I wanted something large enough to do the job and not be undersized. I came across 2 Dynahoe 190-2 one a spare machine. Both running with the spare machine having some leaky pistons. I am very good with machines and enjoy fixing things but these are something very different for me. I took the plunge and had them shipped to me. The driver started them and unloaded them for me. He said they ream well and parked them in my yard. When I got a chance to start them it was a cold day. The main machine did not want to start but the spare started after some coaxing. I had it running for approx 4 or 5 min with no smoke and running good. I went to move it into the wooded half of my yard. I started to turn around and had the bucket up over the rock wall and sure enough it starts running rough and quits. Now the corner of the bucket is over the wall and i cant put it down flat. so I put the bucket down and propped the other corner with a log. I think the fuel is bad. any thoughts. Today I got the Main machine started I started moving and testing all the controls. When sure enough when I was pushing down on the bucket to lift the front end I blew a hose and now I have a hydrolic oil snowcone to clean up and 2 machines down in my yard. I was hoping to get a little time in before the repairs started but I guess that comes with owning older equipment.:Banghead I will post pictures soon. Any advise is always appreciated and also looking for owners manuals like everyone else. Thanks,

Replies15
  1. #1Delmer2015-01-18 14:18

    Detroit diesels? should be easy to get info on the engines if they are Detroits. Bad fuel sounds like the most likely culprit to me. Good luck. There used to be a yahoo group for dynahoe owners, that might help you with any machine specific questions, but most stuff is pretty much the same as any other machine.

  2. #2gunracer12015-01-18 14:31

    fuel additive??? try some HEAT. i bought a white bottle of synadyne and it gelled on me at -5. ruined a whole mornings work.

  3. #3dynahoe 22015-01-18 16:07

    here are a couple of pictures of the new toys.

  4. #4bucyrus6312015-01-21 19:28

    Congratulations on your fleet purchase! I have 190-2. Big and strong. HEAVY at 10 Tons. Bought mine a year ago from a buddy that did zero maintenance on mine. Runs great though. These machines are tanks. Way over built so take it easy with it. Expect brakes to not work and hydraulic leaks all over the place. If u push it to hard YOU WILL BLOW ALOT OF HOSES. Run it like it's a smaller machine and you will be better off. There's 3 or 4 active groups on Yahoo with LOTS of information to keep them going. There is a parts manual there which is what you really need and lots of pics of others repairs. Biggest problem I've had is a small Crack between bucket arms which a welder repaired for me. Cylinders I had to repack 3 so far and expensive. I dont have the tools for opening those big cylinders but they can be done. Theres a guy or two selling old stock parts, outragous prices there, you can get all the filters from regular filter places.Having that second machine will help ALOT if you have to remove a huge cylinder. I don't know anything about the motor other than detroit 353. Will last a lifetime and great for home use if u got the room. Change all those filters and fluids. Costco sells aw46 for only $40 a 5 gallon pail. You WILL need lots of it.lol

  5. #5bucyrus6312015-01-21 19:30

    Service manuals do not exist for your machines. Only parts books and operators manual which will do. Real easy to work on other than heavy.

  6. #6Ronsii2015-01-21 22:31

    Doubt the fuel is bad, if the tank was low loading/unloading them could have sucked air into the system... pull the fuel filters check and drain any water and make sure they are full of fuel(they should overflow when you loosen the top bolt)... one other thing that happened to a 160 I own is debris/rust flakes will get into the fuel tank and will block the fuel feed line causing fuel starvation. also there may be a shutoff valve in front of the first filter.

  7. #7dynahoe 22015-01-27 10:58

    Great lead on the yahoo group, thanks. I was able to download the owners manual and other information. Getting ready to go push some of the 2+ feet of snow we are getting.

  8. #8spitzair2015-01-28 20:35

    Do your engines have the canister style fuel filters or spin on filters? If it has the canister style filters, there are 2 of them, one low pressure and one high pressure. Chances are they are plugged up with algae, if they've been sitting a while, algae can grow in the fuel. My Hein Werner C-12 HD with a 4-53 Detroit had the same problem, Engine suddenly quit running, and upon investigation, the fuel filters were plugged with black slimy crap. You should be able to find them at any NAPA or similar store. Hope this helps...

  9. #9dynahoe 22015-01-28 22:19

    Thanks for the direction, i will look into the fuel filters when i can get through the 30+" of snow! Of course i just snapped the starter selenoid trying to tighten the cable on my main machine. Dumb,trying to rush in the cold. I cant wait till spring!

  10. #10Ronsii2015-01-29 00:52

    I have broke the solenoid caps also... pretty sure it was a standard napa part, but that was 10-15 years ago and haven't broke one since

  11. #11spitzair2015-01-29 11:15

    This is what they will look like... They're the 2 on the left side, the horizontal one in the middle is the engine oil filter. The upper one is the high pressure filter, the lower is the low pressure filter. Good luck with the snow, sounds like you could really use the machines to move the snow!

  12. #12Ronsii2015-01-29 20:27

    My dynahoe is a bit different, vertical oil filter too and the frame rail is right in the way of easy access to the fuel filters.

  13. #13old-iron-habit2015-01-29 22:06

    One of my 3-53 Detroit's did the same thing this week on a old log loader. After the usual changing of filters did not help I stuck a electric fuel pump in between the tank and low pressure filter. I was trying to get it to keep prime to run enough to swing to a better access position. Low and behold fuel started pushing out the back of the gear type fuel pump located between the low and high pressure filters. Turned out the seal at the back of the pump was sucking air when the pump was turning but showed up when pressurized by the electric low pressure pump. Fairly common on the older Detroit's is for the higher pressure fuel line from the pump to the second filter to collapse and fold internally and restrict flow. Do not use regular gas line. I use 1/4 inch hydraulic hose.

  14. #14dynahoe 22015-01-31 17:42

    Ok, Laid in the snow and removed the starter. Pulled the broken solenoid off and ordered a new one online for 35.00. Now i wait. Only the lower two bolts in the starter. Good for me taking it out but i will look for a third to put back in. Still on hold on the machine with the fuel issues, waiting on some warmer weather!

  15. #15dynahoe 22015-02-11 21:07

    Alright I have the starter back on and am up and running. I just need to move some of the 4 feet of snow that surrounds it so I can get it out.