Hello, I am a first time TLB owner (for 3 days) and I looked long and hard for an inexpensive machine (i know, i know...you get what you pay for). I have a small 10 acre horse farm with creeks and thick hedges on both sides, frequent beaver dams and a backhoe/loader will be great for keeping my water access dreadged for the horses, breaking up beaver dams and moving manuer. after 9 months of searching I found a decent 75 ford 4500 and it runs, has minimal issues (one outrigger sticks due to the lockout not going completely down). All the hoses are in good shape, and it all works. I brought her home and changed the oil, filter and fuel filter. I have a medium amount of gasoline engine building experience but no diesel experience. I ran a boom/auger truck for the railroad for 6 years so I have run some heavy equipment. Now...my problems I need advice on... After changing the filter on the fuel system and bleeding both the filter and the injector pump (per the COMPLETE set of service manuals the guy threw in for the $3800 price)... she now is hesitant to start. former owner used ether before I got it and it doesn't appear to have the pre-heat option installed. We just got a cold snap (low 20's) here in Atlanta area and now she wont fire a lick. I am hoping a warmup will solve the problem but I am still concerned about having to use ether to crank. Here is what I have read to date on what I am facing....do I have the right actions and the proper order? 1) make sure air is out of the fuel system...(done) 2) look at a heating system, either block magnet or water circulator 3) have the injectors checked and replace as needed 3b) Verify injector pump is pumping to pressure rating, rebuild or replace if needed 4) check the compression, may need to hone and change rings and/or rebuild to solve this problem. Is there any way to add a pre-heat/glow plug system on these older units? That would be the only other thing I could think of... I have found this forum great and intersting so far...thanks in advance for any tips...
The one I missed is it... mine is a shuttle shift and therefore it has a "brake switch" similar to a neutral safety switch. That has to engage or the tractor won't start:Banghead
Spent today degreasing and pressure washing as I had a crossover hose on the swing cylinders split. Got the backhoe all degreased and cleaned...what a difference. Got the hose replaced and no more leak. Also figured out that the outrigger that was having a problem lowering was due to the linkage letting the lever slip over the top of the valve plunger. I'll have to figure out a way to adjust it back into operation but I was able to hold the linkage down with a big screwdrive and the plunger pushed in on the valve assembly and the outrigger went down with no problem. The injector cleaner is helping on warm restarts but I may still need to yank them for checkout and cleaning. Next will be draining replacing the hydrolic oil, tranny oil and rear end lube. Got to dig with her for the first time this afternoon and it worked like a charm.:drinkup
you sound like your having fun... and it looks like you found a deal on a backhoe. Now just don't flip it into the creek trying to take on a beaver dam.... enjoy!!
you sound like your having fun... and it looks like you found a deal on a backhoe. Now just don't flip it into the creek trying to take on a beaver dam.... enjoy!!
looks like you found a good backhoe enjoy
I wish I could find a good working $5000 backhoe in my area. Everybody wants $10k plus for junk. Good luck with your purchase!!
update Thanks for the comments and encouragement. Warmer weather has helped the starting but if I run her at top rpm I noticed she would sputter or act like she was "loading up". A couple of times she would just quit running and I would then have difficultly getting her started. I decided to pull the injectors and have them checked. Big thanks to the folks on here who gave advice on removing old injectors. The flat pry bar and the wd40 finally got the job done. What i found was totally amazing and it is a wonder the thing ran at all!! The first injector I pulled was carboned up so bad I litterally couldn't find but one hole on the tip. The next one I could see 3 holes and the last injector 2 holes. I took them to a local shop and they pop tested them. One popped 30% above rating, the other two popped on spec, one only dribbled fuel out the end and the other had a "decent" spray pattern according to the mechanic. He went ahead and rebuilt/cleaned and then adjusted them all. It cost me $106 parts and labor for 3 injectors which didn't seem like too bad of a price. They had all the parts in stock and had them turned around next day. I picked them up yesterday and I am going out to the barn this morning to install them. I'll let you know what happens.