Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie looking for guidance

heliotropicmoth · 2014-03-13 14:14

Hello All, I have a desk job in accounting and wish to change careers. Feel free to talk me out of it if you feel the need, but I just cannot stand what I do now. I have always been interested in heavy machines and would like to work with earthworks in the Permaculture industry eventually. I have a few questions I was hoping to get answered on this forum. Is the heavy equipment field feast and famine in regards to work in spring-fall and no work in the winter? I am located in SW Ohio. Do newbies typically get hired on at a specific company or do you have to do contract work mostly? How does the newbie get the experience required in most of the ads I see for heavy equipment operators? The Career center program around me offers NCCER Heavy Equipment Operation – Levels 1, 2 & 3. Is this the industry standard or would I want any other certifications? Should I get my CDL through this same program or find a job that possibly will put me through it? Is a CDL license and Hazmat something I would want / need in this industry? I have other questions but this is a good start. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Patrick

Replies3
  1. #1wyomingjet2014-03-13 17:14

    From my own life experiences n such n not knowing more of your background plus age? I would greatly encourage you to look into that school to get certified, as then most will see you're atleast serious n have some training. As I'd rather had a hand that was green with a can do attitude n wants to learn n work. Than a know it all that'll only do it their way. N a good hand takes pride in their work n don't tear equipment up. Imho. Don't jump ship till you have a credible job lined up, n expect to pay the price of the greenhorn too. Long dirty n not so fun times as well serving the machines n repairs also. Most have field mechanics, yet many don't,,, Good luck

  2. #2heliotropicmoth2014-03-13 17:33

    Thanks, should have mentioned I am male, 33. I know my way around a garage but am not a mechanic. I would be attending the Trade School I mentioned if I decide to pull the plug here at the office. The class has a mandatory 120 hour hands-on internship in the class. Not sure if that would lead me to a job or not. How would someone go about lining up a job before they even went to school?

  3. #3fixou8122014-05-03 00:34

    I assume you read the post "Where are the mechinics" ?