Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie needing advice on first big truck, hook lift

Chain Rated ยท 2015-11-26 09:51

I started a land clearing / mulching business and realized I will soon need something bigger than a 1 ton. I don't know anything about big trucks. ID like to be able to carry everything on the truck most of the time. My primary equipment is a skidsteer and mulcher (14k), root grapple(1.5k?), generator, air compressor, tool box(which currently replaced my back seat in my dmax), chains, chain saws, leaf blower, air hoses, ext cords, etc. I'd like to have that on a flatbed hook lift and be able to swap to a dumpster if needed and tow the equipment on a trailer. I've also thought about building my own hook lift system. is that a good idea? BTW I'm not rich.. I'll need a tandem axle truck for weight, traction off road and stopping power. I'm not sure how much hp I need but more is always better right? A good used truck set up how I want it is expensive so I'm considering something like an L9000 and rebuilding the engine. I saw where ebay had in frame kits for $1600?? That seems really cheap. I also saw a government L9000, 40k miles, very clean, in California for 30k. Theoretically that seems like a good deal. What should I look for and what should I avoid? Like certain engines or transmissions? I'd like to have something like an old dodge 12 or 24 valve, good injectors and injection pumps. Simple and reliable. Easy to work on. Any and all advice is appreciated. **** talking is also welcome if followed up by helpful advice.

Replies2
  1. #1pondo2015-11-29 03:16

    Hello. Sorry can help on picking exact truck. But i can support your decision to get lrg truck. I made same jump a year ago. I do compact excavtion and i went to single axle with hook lift. BEST desicion i made in ling time. You will miss the backseat storage. I put underbody/saddle tool boxes for tool storage. The boxes are 2ftx2ftx6ft... great for storage and access. Not sure this will be option for you? i have very little ground clearance. I am 99% on finished roads. Tandems don't have lot of open frame rail space for boxes. As for horse power more is not always better. If you thought your dmax was thirsty on fuel wait till run big truck. I choose automatic trans to keep things simple, but you likely want standard trans. My understanding is more gears will allow you to get better use out of less HP. let us know what you find. fyi if you find a cheap truck with hooklift... its likely cheap for reason. I bought low price and found lots of things on truck that are tired/worn and may take you out of service when you need to be working.

  2. #2Old Doug2015-11-29 14:20

    I wouldnt jump from a 1ton to tandem unless you are have alot of big jobs lined up. I got a truck this summer and its a 1 1/2 it seems like it can do the work of 3 1tons its cut way down on the miles i have to travel because i can haul so much more per trip.Something else is the biger the truck the heavyer it will be. This summer i used my IH with a gas engine to winch trucks around that were moveing storage trailers that had sat for years in a almost swamp. The first truck sunk up to its axles i drove in close to it to look things over i thought that was dumb because it was so soft but i didnt leave a mark geting out my truck was so much lighter. Also the closer you stay to a smaller truck the easyer it will be to drive and get in to tight places.I hate trying to down size your dreams so much but a hook bed would be a big bite starting out in new buisness. I think a hook bed could be built and i want to try when i get the time.