Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie needing answers on John Deere 333E CTL

Junk333e · 2022-10-04 12:32

Hello all! This is my first post... although I have been searching for answers in the background for a while! Thank you for any help with this issue in advance!!! Background for my questions: I have a 2014 John Deere 333e CTL. Engine Tag PIN: *1T033EMPEE255367* Product Info sheet says Engine: Yanmar 4TNV94CHT Yanmar says Pump: MP4 I was running the machine with low fuel but not empty. The machine just shut down... not cutting out or running poorly. Was at full throttle and just shut down. Thought that it was out of fuel but won't start after filling. Just cranks with no smoke. Small shot of ether and still nothing... not any smoke. No fuel to the rail. Pulled the SCV and tested the ohms. Tech docs say 1.9-2.2. Its reading 4 ohms. Question: Does this sound like a bad SCV? I don't want to spend the outrageous price for a new one if that won't solve the problem. Another question, do I test ohms from the two prongs or from each prong to body of SCV? The ohms test is from the two prongs. I get nothing from each prong to the body of SCV.

Replies18
  1. #1mg23612022-10-04 18:52

    Welcome to HEF Junk333e ! Did you scroll through the monitor and check codes? Post any active and stored codes. If you press and hold the menu button until the words "service mode" appear, then you will be able to clear the codes. After clearing, try to start and see what comes back. Ohms are read by probing the two prongs of the SCV. Temperature at the time of the reading can affect the results.

  2. #2Junk333e2022-10-04 19:37

    @mg2361 thank you a quick response! I had a number of codes that came up before and after the shut down. They were all to do with fuel pressure and temperatures. I have cleared the codes and when trying to start it has fuel pressure rail and others. I tested on the prongs with air temp around the 68f temp or a little lower as stated in the specs. What would a bad SCV look like? More or less OHMS? I would think more correct? Would it short out if bad? I'm hoping it's just SCV but I can get a rebuild pump for under 3k if it includes the sensor and valve... I took a break from working on it due to the heat. But it has been down for 2 years and has bankrupt me. We sold our house so I have the money to start attacking it again. I really need to figure it out because I have to load logs on the mills so I can build our new house and make income. Again I appreciate any help that is given! Maybe there are some other users you can add to this conversation?

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-10-05 04:01

    I'm guessing it's self priming or has been primed.

  4. #4mg23612022-10-05 05:01

    What are the specific code numbers (xxxxxx.xx)? I need those to help determine where to go next. Also, I will be able to PM you specific diagnostics for the code. Unfortunately, the only accurate way to diagnose the SCV is with a diagnostic software. Being at 4 ohms does not concern me at the moment. It could be the quality of your meter giving a slightly off reading. I would be more concerned if it was lower. With any fuel related codes on a HPCR engine, fuel supply issues has to be eliminated first. Any issues there could cause other fuel system codes which could lead to diagnosing ghosts. Has the low pressure system been confirmed with a gauge tee'd at the HP pump inlet? Not likely the pump, they are very durable.

  5. #5Junk333e2022-10-05 23:38

    @mg2361 and @Welder Dave thank you for all this help!!! I have pasted a very long with hopefully everything to answer your questions... SERIAL NUMBER: *CH4K31H002593* MODEL: 4TNV94CHT-NJSL THIS WAS ON ANOTHER TAG ON THE SIDE OF S/N AND MDL TAGE: E/N: 002593 117_117_135_135_133 060_100_100_CFA5 More back story… I had the machine worked on by CL Boyd in Oklahoma City, OK originally after purchase because it would not run at full throttle and would die. The replaced a harness and found fuel lines reversed among other this posted below, ended up costing me over $5k. Then I had to have them come out because it started doing the same thing again. They found plastic from the fuel tank had plugged the primary fuel supply line. The tank was replaced before I had purchased it. Ran fine for about 100hrs then started having codes and it was loaned out and got hot with them and they let it cool. This was during the hot summer running a high flow brush cutter. It ran fine if it wasn’t pushed hard and keep clean from debris. Then the reverse fan went out and got parts for it but stopped by a buddies to do some quick blackberry clearing and this is when it quit. Kicking myself for loaning it out and not fixing the issues when they came up! So this is where I am after 2 years. Had to do a lot of searching on my phone to find all the pictures of codes that have been taken. I’ve listed them below in order of dates. Now that I’ve done a recall of events with this machine and reading the codes, I feel like it’s a ECU issue like it got hot or something … but what do I know? I also posted tech notes of what I could find of invoices. I have more but we have recently moved and haven’t found them yet. Thank for any help in advance! Sorry for the long post! First Codes OCT. 22, 2020: ACTIVE CODES ½ 1/1 VCU 1508.03 HYDRAULIC OIL TEMERATURE OUT OF RANGE HIGH STORED CODES 2/2 1/16 VCU 168.04 OUT OF RANGE LOW 1 4680.3 3 4759.5 BATTERY VOLTAGE UNSWITCHED POWER ERRATIC OR BAD DATA 1 4680.3 2 4759.5 MAIL RELAY ECU MAIN RELAY ECU ERRATIC OR BAD DATA 1 4680.3 2 4759.5 3/16 VCU 1508.03 HYDRAULIC OIL TEMERATURE OUT OF RANGE HIGH 1 4720.0 150 4759.5 4/16 ECU 522329.00 WATER IN FUEL SWITCH DATA ABOVE NORMAL 1 4749.8 25 4759.5 5/16 EMU 158.01 BATTERY VOLTAGE SWITCHED POWER DATA BELOW NORMAL 6/16 EMU 2000.09 ABNORMAL DATA RATE NO ECU DATA ON CAN BUS ADNORMAL DATA RATE 1 4759.5 7/16 ECU 110.00 WATER TEMP SENSOR DATA ABOVE NORMAL 1 4695.7 7 4757.9 8/16 HCU 2660.07 RIGHT JOYSTICK X-AXIS MECHANICAL FAULT 1 4756.2 9/16 HCU 2661.07 RIGHT JOYSTICK Y-AXIS MECHANICAL FAULT 10/16 HCU 2697.07 LEFT JOYSTICK X-AXIS MECHANICAL FAULT 1 4756.2 11/16 HCU 2698.07 LEFT JOYSTICK Y-AXIS 1 4756.2 12/16 EMU 522828.07 UNREADABLE PHOTO ON THIS ONE 1 4686.0 2 4746.2 13/16 VCU 524084.00 HYDROSTAT OIL TEMPERATURE DATA ABOVE NORMAL 1 4734.4 14/16 OC4 2634.05 IGNITION RELAY OUT OF RANGE LOW 1 4678.3 2 4678.3 15/16 ECU 522618.09 ABNORMAL DATA RATE 1 4678.3 16/16 ECU 522600.09 March 15, 2021: 1/5 VCU 1508.03 March 20, 2021: 1/1 ECU 157.03 RAIL PRESSURE SENSOR OUT OF RANGE 1/9 VCU 1508.03 OUT OF RANGE HYDRAULIC OIL TEMP 1 4759.5 57 4759.5 2/9 VCU 168.04 BATTERY VOLTAGE UNSWITCHED POWER OUT OF RANGE LOW 1 4759.5 12 4759.5 3/9 EMU 524225.04 REMOTE START INPUT OUT OF RANGE LOW 1 4759.5 9 4759.5 4/9 ECU 1209.04 EGR SENSOR HIGH PRESSURE SIDE OUT OF RANGE LOW 1 4759.5 5/9 ECU 633.05 SCV MPROP ECU INTERNAL IC OUT OF RANGE LOW 1 4759.5 4 4759.5 6/9 EMU 523693.04 AUX HYD CHANNEL 1 INPUT OUT OF RANGE LOW 1 4759.5 3 4759.5 7/9 EMU 523694.04 AUX HYD CHANNEL 2 INPUT OUT OF RANGE LOW 1 4759.5 3 4759.5 8/9 EMU 523694.12 AUX HYD CHANNEL 2 INPUT DEVICE FAULT AUX HYD CHANNEL 2 INPUT 1 4759.5 3 4759.5 9/9 ECU 157.03 RAIL PRESSURE SENSOR OUT OF RANGE HIGH 1 4759.5 3 4759.5 APRIL 7TH, 2021 10/10 ECU 522596.09 CAN COMM TSC1 1 4759.5 ABNORMAL DATA RATE CAN COMM TSC1 APRIL 30TH, 2021 1/6 ECU 157.18 2/6 EMU 2228.00 3/6 VCU 158.03 4/6 VCU 168.03 5/6 EMU 158.01 6/6 VCU 168.04 8-9-19 and01 operated the machine after a several minutes got the engine to quit running. watched the fuel pressure in the monitor. operated the machine after a few minutes noticed the fuel pressure was dropping when you would counter rotate left to right and so forth. moved machine into the shop removed the right engine panel and noticed the fuel lines on the tank to the water separator are run wrong. the fuel filter supply was hooked to return on the tank and the return from the engine was hooked into the supply for the engine. swapped the lines around. ran the machine could not get it to die. moved back into the shop and looked over the rest of the fuel lines and made sure they weren't run wrong too. checked over the fuel lines everything is ran the correct way. =============Multiple Codes Complaint================== 8-9-19 and01 started looking into the code. code 100.04 oil pressure switch voltage out of range low. looked at the engine oil pressure switch on the engine. found the oil pressure switch no plugged in. found the connector cleaned it off and installed it to the oil pressure switch. code went away. code 522820.05 high flow driver. removed the high flow solenoid and check the resistance of the solenoid. the resistance was 7 ohms. spec is 6 to 8.2 ohms at 68 degrees. checked the wiring. checked wire Pin J4 (wire H03 GRN) of HCU 48-pin connector 2 (X45) and pin 1 of high flow solenoid (Y10) connector. found the wire good. Checked the ground wire for the solenoid and it has a bad spot in it. ran a new wire and grounded for testing. the code went inactive. the wireing harness for the high flow solenoid is bad for the ground wire. code 51.03 air throttle actuator position signal out of range high and code 2950.05 air throttle actuator drive circuit has high resistance. looked at the air throttle on the engine and found the wiring connector not plugged in. the connector is bad and wont connect and lock. got it to work for now but connector needs replaced. the codes went away and as soon as you start it it wants to do a regen. let the machine do a regen. the machine passed the regen with no other codes. the air throttle connector that is bad is not available in parts. quoting new engine harness. Labor: 675.00 Subtotal: 675.00 Parts: 1013.89 Labor: 1890.00 Tax: 87.45 TOTAL: 2991.34 Thanks again for ALL your INPUT!!!

  6. #6mg23612022-10-06 05:03

    Actually, I need the complete "machine" serial number, not the engine serial number. After clearing the codes, just post the codes that appear when trying to start it.

  7. #7Junk333e2022-10-06 23:30

    Yes Sir will do! Unfortunately it at my buddies house which is a pain cause he is a pain when trying to focus and work on things. I'll try to get over there tomorrow and put a charger on it. May just go buy a new battery as well. Will update you soon..

  8. #8Junk333e2022-10-07 16:56

    Only code I could get it to throw is 633.05 ECU. Put a new battery in and cranked on it about 4 times.

  9. #9mg23612022-10-08 05:59

    OK, now I am thinking the 4 ohms is too high, since that code if for High Resistance to the SCV. I would double check all the wiring from the SCV to the ECU first, just to rule out any high resistance in the wiring. So check the terminals in the connectors for issues and ohm out the SCV wires. If all checks out, then you most likely need an SCV. While the engine should start and run with a new SCV, a pump calibration should be performed after installing the SCV, so it may require the dealer to come out.

  10. #10Junk333e2022-10-08 10:47

    Thank you sir! I will get on the OHMS on the harness and get back with an update. Thanks again for your time! It's appreciated!

  11. #11Junk333e2022-10-10 20:53

    Well I feel stupid... I didn't plug the SCV in when I cranked the last time. Sorry about that. That's why it was throwing the code for it. After plugging it in and clearing codes and cranking it for a while like I was priming it I couldn't get any codes to throw.

  12. #12mg23612022-10-11 05:16

    OK, since there are no codes, we need to start at the basics. Good fuel supply to the HP pump? Have the fuel filters been changed? Fuel pressure to the HP pump needs to be checked. Needs to be checked with the key on and also checked when cranking. If you do not have gauges, then at least remove the supply line to the HP pump and see what kind of flow you have to the pump. It should flow 1 quart per minute.

  13. #13Junk333e2022-10-11 11:03

    I failed to mention that all that has been done by myself and 2 different techs that have been out. I even replace the low pressure pump just in case it wasn't strong enough. Everyone wants me to bring it to a shop buy how do you load a 12k machine onto a trailer. Can the ECU be pulled and taken to the shop to test and read any errors stored in it? That's what I feel is the issue. Because the machine just shut down at full power with no hesitation or sputtering. I found a SCV for $200 in the UK and thinking about getting it to just eliminate that. But something has just been telling me that it has to do with the ECU not allowing fuel to the HPRS by not activating the SCV. But what do I know! Been researching and going over the manual for a while. It just wants you to start swapping parts by throwing money at it. Without the Service ADVISOR I'm almost left with swapping parts or having a tech come out with a laptop and charging me $400 for a trip charge because I'm so far out from the shop even though the tech dispatches in the town next to me.

  14. #14mg23612022-10-11 12:14

    Nope. Dealer techs? Could they plug in and see the ECU on the network? Look at the readings?

  15. #15Junk333e2023-01-31 12:27

    Update: found a SCV from Oregon Fuel Injection for $199. To think JD charges $1700 for a new one is scandalous! After replacing it with the new one it still won't fire. Has anyone used Diesel Laptops software? They have a rental option for $400... think I'm going to give it a try since it would cost that and more to have tech come out to hook up their PC.

  16. #16Zewnten2023-02-02 21:19

    Diesel laptops won't tell you anything unless you're having the issue and you can already do that through the monitor how mg2361 described. Do you have codes now? A DMM or an oscilliscope would tell you more if the SCV is getting a signal from the ECM.

  17. #17heymccall2023-02-02 21:52

    Fuel tank replaced? Take the separator assembly apart completely including full inspection of the inlet port, going so far as to run a wire thru the inlet, watch it come out the filter side of the housing. I've stopped counting road calls for that as I've added an inline screen pre-separator. You can finds most of my fuel restriction threads by searching "3972".

  18. #18southernman132023-02-03 08:55

    Very good info! I had a Kubota 95-2 drive me crazy with a fuel problem. It was clogged in this exact same spot that I didn’t check. The Kubota dealer told me to check it. Never had another issue!