Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

newbie needing backhoe purchase advice

freddyboy ยท 2013-04-08 12:25

Hey folks... I am looking to purchse my first backhoe and would greatly appreciate some guidance. I have a budget of 20k max to spend on a backhoe but would prefer to spend less. I want to clear out a couple of acres of woods and begin to dig a pond. I only plan on keeping the machine for a couple of years until the projects are completed and then would like to sell at close to my purchase price. I know that I want 4x4 and I assume extend-a-hoe (although I am not 100% sure what that is!). I don't really need many bells and whistles like heat and a/c. Are there brands and certain years that are far more reliable than others? Are there certain engines and transmissions that should be avoided? I was leaning towards a diesel engine verses a gas motor...Any thoughts on that? Thank you all so very much in advance for any guidance. Have a Great Day!

Replies3
  1. #1Deon2013-04-08 20:12

    Most important for an older machine is how well it has been maintained and if you have a local dealer or not. Deere and Case have been popular as older machines. Case has one model with what they call priority swing on the backhoe. Apparently that feature is not well liked by many. Case guys will know more. I really like my JD 310D except for the fact that it bounces alot when roading. Once you find one you can affort, just post your findings for coments from this awsome forum. Good luck.

  2. #2freddyboy2013-04-08 20:31

    Thanks Deon.... Who out there knows what priority swing is and what models it came on? Why is it a concern? Thanks!

  3. #3kb9nvh2013-04-09 11:03

    From what I have heard, priority swing was on case 580(s)L series 1 and maybe not the entire run. No series II models had it. Case did a recall on them and was changing them for free so I wonder how many are out there? Anyone care to correct me. I dont know any of this from experience so it may be wrong info.