Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Newbie ready to purchase first skid steer

waitrain7317 ยท 2015-09-23 22:18

I'm in the market to purchase my first skidsteer for use around my property. I have 3 acres with a house. I am demoing the house and building new. I need something to move dirt and stone, landscaping, grading and snow removal. I've used a Bobcat in the past and loved it. I have been told countless times to get the brand that has a local dealer and/or service center. For my immediate location this is Bobcat, New Holland and John Deere. There is a CAT dealer about 25 miles away. I am looking for something used and in the price range of $15,000.00 to $9,000.00. I have seen several decent machines that fit this category. I don't want something under powered but I also don't need something that is top of the line (due to my budget). Currently there is the following that I am looking at (sample listings): 2000 New Holland LS170, 1,610 hours, cab w/ heat, aux hydraulics, good tires and new bucket for $11,500.00 1999 Bobcat 863f, 1700 hours, 50% tires, 72" bucket, $8,500.00 2000 John Deere 250, 2800 hours, 72" bucket, weight kit, $11,950.00 2004 Bobcat S160, 3,400 hours, new tires, aux hydraulics, $13,900.00 2004 John Deere 317, 4,384 hours, air boss tires, hydro coupler, aux hyd, $11,500.00 I realize you don't know history, etc. on these. Let's say condition wise they are all equal as they all come from dealers. Can anyone give me some insight into what to consider taking into account the above sample listings. Thank you in advance for any and all information. Jim

Replies6
  1. #1bdog12342015-10-04 02:28

    What are your plans for the machine once you are finished with your project? You can rent a good sized skid steer for a month for $1500. I would think you could do pretty much everything you need to on three acres in a month? I have a skid steer and love it but I use it for commercial work as well as my own use. I had to spend 7k on repairs to it the first six months I owned it so just because you can afford the machine up front doesn't mean it is t going to cost you quite a bit more down the road. Generally the cheaper the machine is the older and more hours it has which means the likely hood of expensive repairs is greater.

  2. #2Rozay2015-10-06 14:52

    If you're looking for an equipment that is used, might as well rent it. But, check out http://equipmenttraderonline.com ... I found the 2000 John Deere 250, 2800 hours, 72" bucket, weight kit $11,950.

  3. #3crewchief8882015-10-06 16:00

    if the bobcat has AHC or ACS controls, i'd stay far away from it.... :drinkup

  4. #4check2015-10-07 09:42

    I wouldn't believe the hourmeters on that list.

  5. #5kshansen2015-10-07 16:43

    I know it's not on your list but I always liked the older Case Uniloaders, 1845 series. The "newest" one we had at the quarry was a 1989 1845C. While it has broke more chains than I care to recall and several hoses along with needing cylinders rebuilt a few times to the best of my memory the engine has had no major work, pumps and drive motors still working all these years later. If the guys in the quarry can not kill it don't think anyone could!

  6. #6Swannny2015-10-07 19:03

    Of those you listed my interest would probably be in this order: 170, 863, 160, 250, 317. You can do much better price/hr wise looking for a machine from a private individual/business in local classifieds.