Hi all, My Takeuchi TL12 decided it won't start. The machine is only 2 years old. When I turn the key on, the instrument panel lights up (batt shows 12.4 v) and I hear a click but the starter won't turn over. I checked all front and back fuses (I think there are 5 in the back) and they all look good. I put in a new battery - same thing. I checked the started and it is only showing 7 - 9 V when I try to start. I tried to clean and check all the connections but still no luck. Could it be the starter switch? Is there a relay on somewhere? I would really appreciate your help. My nearest dealer (about 50 miles away) will charge 500$ just to come out and look. Thank you all. Marcin
I don't know the machine but it's either a bad cable, connection, terminal or could be a bad relay/solenoid. Don't forget to check the ground side of things. Also, sometimes the battery terminals can be bad even though they look good if corrosion gets down inside the insulation. If that's the case they will normally swell up or sound crunchy when you flex them.
You either have a bad battery or a bad connection somewhere along the way. I suppose it's possible the problem is in the starter, but that would be my last guess.
Did you by chance hit the red kill switch on the right side of the dash?
Red kill switch pushed ? Ground cable loose ? Check all under the seat connections careful...
The kill switch wouldn't explain the voltage drop unless I'm missing something. The problem is a bad connection or a bad battery. If the battery is good, 3-5dV is going to heat up the faulty connection. An infrared camera may help find it.
If you put a wrench on the engine can you turn it by hand . 9 volts could be just high starter draw. If you could it would be a good idea to check current draw while trying to start.