Well just took over ownership of a clean 1998 580 SL Wile bieng rushed by transporter wile needing a quick fuelup I inadvertantly put 1.9 gal of diesel fuel in the hydraulic tank. WOW now that I will never do again ! Question is: considering tank was full of hydaulic oil ( 14.4 ) then my stupity added 1.9 gal of diesel making a total of 16.3 gallons.So now we have a mix of 11.6% diesel fuel mixed in with the hydraulic fluid. Used the bucket a few times & the landing gear to lock the boom. Drove her to my camp 8-10 miles so she is really mixed now ! My average temps this time of year here in Maine are 26* And will only get colder. Not planing on working her till spring. Now Lets also consider my hydraulic tank is overfilled as well ! What would the more seasoned operator / owner do in this case ? Any suggestions will be helpfull.
Too late now. Drain and fill several times. Hydraulic circuits, if they get air intrusion can diesel. This leads to cylinder deformation and blown piston packing. You just introduced actual diesel. This could be a problem if you have to do some real work. All you need is a little air, bang. It doesn't even have to be warm out.
no big deal seen this many times wont hurt seals or cylinders never heard of air intrusion or diesel??? I recommend put boom and hoe in air drain oil then let boom and hoe down slowly then change oil and filter then you should be good to go that little diesel wont hurt nothing after all it is still oil. must be a old wives tale or coffee shop talk that a cylinder can blow up with diesel inside just cant happen
Air causing dieseling in cylinders is real, but I wouldn't worry about the diesel over the winter if you can't get to it.
ok Delmer tell me how air in a hydraulic cylinder can cause it to diesel???
Take air at 50F, and atmospheric pressure, compress it to 2,000 PSI and the heat will ignite any oil vapor with any available oxygen, and eat away at seals etc.
that is not dieseling and that little diesel in his hydraulic tank will never harm anything and will never deform a cylinder believe what you want
You have about 11-1/2% diesel in the hyd. tank. Shouldn't cause any major problems other than thinning the oil a bit. Some people use diesel when cleaning out a hyd. system. I think just drain it and change the filter when you have time.
this is accepted fact in the hydraulics world. What is your definition of dieseling, Bob?
I recall years back we would add a couple gallons of diesel fuel to the hydraulic tanks on the old D9G's in the winter to thin the oil so they would take less warm up time... Might not have been good for the pumps, but it helped on -10 degree mornings.
Never said the cylinder would blow up, I said dieseling would occur. Just keep ignoring fact and the rest of us will always have work. When I said drain and fill, I should have elaborated. Drain oil, refill ,start at idle, exercise implements slowly and not to end of travel. Drain and fill again this time swap out filters. If you had not started it, you could have simply drained tank, refilled and been done. Or listen to 580Bob and let it ride,
O Boy, didn't think I would be opening a can of worms here. LOL Dam, I'm really kicking myself for this screwup. I know with these two tanks Diesel on oneside & Hyd on the other side both looking the same. Others must of done this before. There should be a different color or something to stop stupid moves like this. Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot before you even get started. Ok, now on to the learning curve Learning the best way to fix this mess. Any videos / pointers on Case backhoe Hydraulic Oil Change
Management REALLY needs a popcorn eating emote on this site. I find myself wanting to post it often sometimes!
You are right, I should have not replied after initial response. And for a new guy to read all this crap.
This is kind off funny seeing as how Cat use to recommend using up to 25% kerosene in 10wt hyd oil in freezing weather so I suspect you will be fine leaving your oil in for the winter maybe draining the excess. Now we have special artic oils . Bob
Gotta love keyboard experts. Bob
I never said let it ride if you can read fun I said it will do no harm and change it out and change filter what you said to squire that he could deform cylinders cause dieseling and destroy packings a end of the world scenario this has happened many times on case 580s as the fuel and hyd tanks are on the opposite sides of cab and often get confused I have worked on case for over 35 years and have yet to see a deformed cylinder or a dieseling cylinder whatever that is so I am going by experience not googleing and passing it on as gospel as many do