THE SIZE OF IT bit bigger than the diggers i normally see looks like a football oval worth of parts to build it
Is that a new Bucycrus that your building?
It's almost like I've seen that shovel before. Oh wait, I have. But it was inside the factory last time I saw it.
I remember when our RX200 was delivered in all the pieces there was a lot of them truck after truck
H,mmmm try the title of the post for the answer.
I hope you keep updating the thread with more pics as the build it.
The cat 6120b h fs ultra heavy excavator brochure with specs has been released. You can check it at the Cat website. In terms of dimensions it is around 15% bigger in all proportions with 300 tons heavier. What is most amazing however is the 40% more breakout it has compared to the previous model.
theres acouple sitting at the Perth branch too, white and yellow
:lmao
I assume they are assembling it on site to where it will dig...correct?
That's right that's how they built ours
how much would a heafty gal like that weigh? 150 ton?
lol
just the boom and stick I mean
Yes as you can see we have a pad built as close as we can to where it will be working, so we don't have to travel it too far. And yes she is a hefty big gal... 980t all up. Boom is about 80t with triangles. This one came from factory with them already installed. previous machne from Germany did not have them we fitted them at site. Alco yes this is one and the same... first 6090 from Milwaukee...
no matter what the size..say like from 20ton all the way up to extreeemely obese 980tonners...is the travel speed still that 1-2 mph range...or do the big big ones here snails buzzing by saying "WHEEEEE" I know excavators aren't meant for travel speed, but how come there hasn't been anybody that got wild and crazy and hit the 4-5 mph range?
The speed for this big girl is 1.6km/hr 1st stage, 2.2km/hr 2nd stage. However we lock 2nd stage out. They do not have the power for speed, as it is we already boost the travel pressure to 360 bar. Otherwise there isn't enough power in the finals to sprag the machine.
They have a tendency to eat high speed gear sets when walked a great deal in high gear as well. Looking great so far Zed, I just hope this is what we get when we get our next new hydraulic, but it's not looking good for that at this point. Sounds like a certain manufacturer is pretty eager to get their machine in up here, since they have nothing to show in our neck of the woods at this point. I would imagine they'll make a pretty sweet offer to do it too. Cat however, doesn't seem interested in our business right now.
There is an answer for it, and it's called Sleipner ............. it depends very much on mine site conditions (it doesn't work too well in soft ground or on really steep ramps) how successful it will be and how much money it will save, especially in the case of undercarriage parts like final drives & tracks. http://www.sleipner.fi/
I've heard that cat mining isn't making any friends up there, from a former bucyrus employee who was working there during the changeover. What a shame that the corporate arrogance is coming to light.
Where's this at? First thought would be the Hunter Valley, Ravensworth North? Looking forward to more pics, shovels are great.
Holy smoked cheese! That thing is a dang nifty little scooter. Once again I'm late to the punchline....I could have invented that, sold like 5 of them and probably retired. Some guys have all the luck. Thanks for the link Nige.
The only problem is, Sleipner doesn't make a setup for a machine this size. I sure wish they did though, I love the concept.
Hmmm....I smell an ALCO-MILL get rich retirement plan...not our fault Sleipner was Sleip-ing and missed the oportunity:drinkup
They would probably have to go with solid tyres for something that large. I can't see anything that would carry the weight being able to fit under the rear end of a really large hydraulic shovel. I'm not sure how it would work in the soft ground at the tar sands though, you really need hard roads for the machine to be towed on.
There won't be anything coming from my end.....LOL. I'm afraid you'll have to go it alone. I would guess in the future, you will see something large enough to handle the larger hydraulic shovels, since they are slowly introducing larger Sleipner models. They just haven't got there yet. I agree that solid tires would be a likely choice, or perhaps even a tandem setup. I'm sure they will keep working on larger models, but as of now, I know they don't offer anything in the larger class. While I realize they wouldn't work well in the softer conditions we have in some spots, our major roads are mostly hard. So it could possibly be made to work to our advantage if we walked to the end of a soft bench, then jumped on the dollies for a ride to the start of the next soft bench. This alone could save us a considerable amount of time and distance travelled each year.
Alco, the big benefit believe it or not is not what you save on travel time (which is obviously worth money because the machine is not digging during that time) but the financial saving in undercarriage and final drive parts. With a "bottom end" overhaul on a large hydraulic shovel typically costing from 20% upwards of the total purchase price of the complete machine compared to the purchase price of a set of Sleipners, for a mine that has multiple shovels it makes good financial sense. I always remember a saying of an old boss of mine from years ago "When they're walking they're not working but they're wearing out just the same". Too true.
I most certainly believe it Nige. It seems at times, that our planners think our shovels have wheels. The conditions where we work being soft and extremely abrasive, may dictate that we still destroy undercarriage at an alarming rate, even with the reduced wear of floating the hydraulics. But I still feel travel time would be our biggest savings, since we walk the hydraulics on a schedule of 20 minutes of walking, and 10 minutes of cool down. Some days, the shovels may walk for 5 or 6 hours per day, other days, they may not walk at all. We use our hydraulics as swing shovels between ore and overburden, and the walking is usually excessive. I don't agree with the way they do it, but the planners won't listen to anyone without an iron ring on their finger.
Gotcha. Planners the world over seem the same, and I'm sure they don't inhabit the same world I do. Fact is I often come out with "can I have some of whatever you're on?" in planning meetings ........
Ain't that the truth Nige, ain't that the truth........
What is interesting is that the new cat 6120b might be quite bigger than the old 6090 but has still the same horse power 4500... It might be probably because they couldn't design a bigger engine or they thought that the same engine would fit a bigger machine. Still it must be more powerful though...
Dominikat, The power regeneration circuit combined with the storage capacity for the electricity the power regen circuit saves, means it is able to draw from another power source, which boosts the overall power the machine has to draw from. So it's not just the engines that provide all of the power. Counterswinging, lowering the boom, etc, are all used to generate electric power from the momentum and such. That electricity is then stored in a series of devices like capacitors to be reused when needed.
Nice explanation thanks.
Yair . . . Okay alco could you enlighten me on this one . . . please? (grins) Cheers.
Scrub Just a WAG, but I would say it is a back handed reference to a college degree. We ALL know how much smarter that make a person, right:beatsme
I've got one of those. Does that make me dumb..?
The iron ring is commonly worn by Canadian Professional Engineers to show their status.
Yair . . . Gotcha alco I guessed it would be something like that but I have just never heard of it before. Thanks. Cheers.
The best definition of an Engineer I have ever heard: A guy who knows 99 ways to F*#k but hasn't had one yet.
When I first went to uni I couldn't even spell the word injunir, now I are one ...............
The 6120B is no longer....
Well??????
When are we going to get more pictures? I am disappointed every time I open this thread and there are no new ones!
That is incorrect. The program has been put on hold until market conditions improve. The original machine has not been dismantled, nor has anything been done with parts for the second machine that was being erected in the field. The program has not been cancelled, just suspended.
Sorry for no new pictures, but nothing is happening right now. The machine is quarantined waiting for Customs clearance. After we get the green light it will be full steam ahead but as of right now we can put a spanner on it... Alco I heard the same, 6120 not cancelled, just put on hold for awhile...
Here a few pictures of 400 and 310 tons. machine, it is now made to 550 tn. weight sides.:notworthy
Those wheels would be amazing if you could get them to work on electric shovels!
I love the idea of the Sleipner systems OSK. Unfortunately, we have recently parked our last RH200, and now only have RH400 shovels, and one RH120 excavator. I only wish you folks made a large enough system to accommodate a 400 size machine. Of course, then we'd have to convince management to spend the money, and that may be harder than designing and building a system that can handle that large of a machine. I think you folks need to be commended for coming up with such a system. I can see nothing but benefits from it.
What size truck do you need to pull a 550t machine, I would think that to pick up the front of a machine that heavy would be about 300t of weight in the box. Then you have to pull it.
I wonder what the VIMS registers as Weight when towing like that? It looks like you can transfer the CG a fair way back.
Pulling a Hitachi 3600 our 789's register around 60 tonnes. Not sure how accurate that is though, probably pretty good with a backhoe because you can get the bucket fairly well up to the front wall of the dump body. With a face shovel with those nasty teeth sticking out the front of the bucket you have to set the bucket further back in the body unless you want holes knocked in it.
If you have any questions regarding Sleipner products, please post them on the thread: HeavyEquipmentForums Thank You!
I wouldn,t think that would be very accurate Nige, as you know the system needs to be "bombed" a little bit into the back of the truck and then the 2nd gear reweigh does some more. It,s sorta like all these geniuses at mines that want the payload monitor to work on water carts............ I figure there would be at least 1 bucket of material in the back to act as a bed for the bucket to sit on so figure 30 ton there alone and then a 360 ton machine weighted on 2 points i would suggest a tad more than 60 ton!! I reckon a look at the strut heights at the rear with a load of dirt vs the HEX in the back might tell the story a bit. Those 89C,s look perfect with those X bodies, CAT793 and i had the 2nd one of those in service in Australia at the mine we were at, went pretty well from memory and we had one of the toughest sites around for trucks.