Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Welding to underside of boom

dozer12216 ยท 2013-03-21 10:08

I am having a pin mounted hyd. thumb added to a Hitachi EX270 LC. The builder wants me to weld three adapters about 1/2 inch wide to underside of boom for mounting cylinder. It is my thinking they should be welded to a wide plate and the plate welded to side edges of boom. Is the direct weld acceptable??

Replies3
  1. #1maddog2013-03-21 10:25

    The ones I've made where 1st welded to a plate then the plate was welded to the boom. Makes the job easier and makes the connection stronger in my opinion

  2. #2ramheadjim2013-03-21 19:06

    I just installed a thumb on a 230 deere and it came with a base plate that was welded to the stick first then the thumb brackets welded last the base was about eight feet long and one foot wide. Mfg recomends to not weld cross ways of the stick, length ways only.

  3. #3pf/l2013-03-21 20:59

    On our 270 the eyelets are welded to a plate then welded to the stick. Helps distribuite the presure considerably I think. Backing plate is probably around a foot wide and somewhere around 8' long. Ryan