I recently acquired a 175KW generator with a Cummins motor. It's natural gas, we'd like to change it to propane. What's the best way to go about it? And if this isn't the proper sub-forum I apologize. I couldn't decide. Thanks!
what brand is it? you should be able to go back to the mfg. to get the conversion kit. some of the smaller gen sets have it in the encloseure. some just require a regulator change. a little more info would be nice;-)
It really depends on the source of propane. If you have large storage available (like a tank farm) very little in the way of extra equipment (some changes) will be necessary, the large tanks would have the ability to supply vapor for your demands. If not and you have something like a 1000 gal tank then you would need a vaporizer/converter and associated parts to plumb it to your cooling system and your mixer. I would suggest contacting your local LPG supplier and see who they use. The main reason for not sending you to an online source is because you will need technical assistance and possibly service after the sale. I have been doing conversions for many years and always suggest that someone that is unfamiliar with proper installation always contact qualified service people. It's a lot easier and cheaper in the long run.
It would, wouldn't it? I don't know much more than that off the top of my head and the machine is on a trailer 45 minutes away from me. When you say mfg do you mean Cummins or whoever bought the motor from Cummins and assembled the generator? I kind of figured it would be a relatively (relatively!) simple conversion, but my partners are currently freaking out (long story involving not actually checking things out before getting excited at a state surplus auction... ). They asked the local Cummins dealer today but got the run around so I figured I'd check here. Thanks.
Thanks Bill. I would absolutely have someone who really knew what they were doing do any of the conversion/plumbing stuff. I was just looking for an idea about it. One of my partners has been stressing for 3 days because he didn't really check it out and he thinks he really screwed it up, I figure the price we got it for vs what I've seen 175KW generators with a lot more hours go for makes up for quite a bit of hassle with a change. I'll call my propane guy in the morning and run it by him.
a.paul. Dealers L P Equipment Company, 1025 John A. Denie Road Memphis, TN 38134 901-386-8780 They have been in LP with many branches in other states for many many years. They probably have done what you need and if not will refer you to some source that can. They served ALL of my LP needs for over 14 years. They are on the internet,google DEALERS LP, Memphis, TN.