Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NH 555e Mechanical lift pump location

jsiff210 ยท 2015-12-21 09:40

I'm trying to troubleshoot my 555e not starting and it looks like its not getting fuel (sediment separator is empty). I was going to try using the hand primer on the lift pump but I can't find it. The repair manual I have shows that it should be on the right side of the engine below the fuel injection pump but I'm not seeing it there. Could it be somewhere else or is it possible that my machine doesn't have this? (1999 NH 555e)

Replies11
  1. #1x-ray2015-12-21 12:20

    Hello, Welcome to the Forum. Think you might be in the pickle as I was. According the manual there should be a lift pump, "installed on all 4 cylinder diesel engines"(manual Pict1). However, looking at my engine setup there is none (img_001). It appears to be now electric (img_002) on the left above filter. No matter what I did to purge it the bowl still did not stay filled. So I removed the line in red (img003) and the top access (red) of the bowl. I put a kero suction pump (those cheap hand operated jobs) on that line until it kept pumping diesel, I then hemostated that line off as close to the end with leaving a little to put it back on. I then filled the bowl from a small bottle through the port and closed it off. I then put the line back on and its clamp ring and released the hemostat. It then cranked and started as expected and kept the bowl full. As near as I tell that fuel line it ran clear back to the tank. I have thought about putting a check valve up there to stop it from happening everytime I check the bowl... Well anyway that's how it worked out. May I never run out in the field or I will need suck in some diesel...

  2. #2x-ray2015-12-21 12:22

    Sorry img001 and img002 are upside down. Didn't show that way in preview...just turn your head upside down

  3. #3jsiff2102015-12-21 13:21

    Thanks, yup same set up. I don't have a suction pump but I hooked the line in up to a gravity feed can resting on the hood. The bowl is full now but it still won't start. I can get it started with straying ether but it dies as soon as the ether burns off. Any other suggestions?

  4. #4x-ray2015-12-21 14:00

    Sounds like there is still air beyond that point. You can try to crack one of the injectors out a bit and crank it. I think it took two solid 10sec of starting time sessions (small break in between) before I got it to go. Also make sure the is still no air trapped in that bowl (my first attempt I didn't notice some in there. It must be solid full)...

  5. #5jsiff2102015-12-24 17:44

    Still no luck and the bowl is full. Someone else suggest checking the fuel shut off solenoid. When I test with my multi meter (key on black to frame and red to solenoid) it's reading 0 volts... Is this something you're familiar with?

  6. #6Ronsii2015-12-24 18:02

    With the key ON it should have 12V on the solenoid, you might want to check the wire running from the key switch to the solenoid or might be a bad key switch....

  7. #7Cmark2015-12-24 18:18

    In xray's photo, the plastic thing on top of the fuel filter is your electric transfer pump. You should hear it running when the ignition is on, or you may possibly have to turn the key to the start position momentarily to get it to run.

  8. #8jsiff2102015-12-24 18:21

    It's not.

  9. #9x-ray2015-12-24 23:00

    I believe cmark is correct you can hear/feel it running when the key is in the on position. I should be able check tomorrow afternoon (if memory serves me there is a white? wire coming off the back of that plastic pump). Had some bad luck w a tree falling on my cab top in the high winds today. Thank goodness it only cracked the top and no glass. So I got to go out and work on it anyway tomorrow.

  10. #10x-ray2015-12-25 16:42

    Only got to look at it for a minute today. It does run at key on, you can feel it running. It has 3 wires coming off the lower left on a harness. If you need I should be able to pin it out tomorrow.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2015-12-26 08:35

    Now that you can hear it running.. loosen the inlet line going into the back of the inj. pump and turn the key on.. that will allow the air from the filter to the inj. pump to escape.. Now.. go to the injector lines at the head.. loosen up as many as you can get to.. and crank the engine till fuel squirts out.. then tighten them back up.. Now start the engine.. IF you cant get any fuel out of the injector lines, recheck that you have fuel at the inlet line.. if you do, then theres something wrong w/ the injection pump. Bad pump or faulty shut-off solenoid.. get someone to hold a meter on the solenoid while you crank it.. and check for 12v while cranking..